Putney Vale Cemetery, Stag Lane, Putney, London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cemetery: Putney Vale Cemetery, Stag Lane, Putney, London

Putney Vale is the central cemeteries office holding all the records for not only Putney Vale, but Wandsworth, Battersea New and St Marys.

My great great grandfather, Charles Guilford, of 18 Birley Street, Battersea, died on 21st January 1900, aged 49. I think that he must be in one of these cemeteries, possibly Battersea New. I suspect his wife Hannah Guilford joined him upon her death on 31st July 1943.

The records are free to view at Putney Vale between 9.30am and 4pm from Monday to Friday, however even though I live in Berkshire, I haven't got transport to get there. If the staff there look it up for me, it costs a jaw-dropping £47!!!

So if anyone is planning to visit and/or passing, a look-up would be most appreciated.

Many thanks,

Velma

I will try and pop into the Putney Vale office one day next week (it's right next to Asda so might combine it with a shopping trip). If they are in Battersea New (which is actually in Lower Morden) that's where one set of my grandparents are buried so I try and visit quite often.
    :D Carolyn

Comment

That's fantastic, thank you Carolyn

I can probably visit the grave one weekend, so don't worry about that bit. It's just that hubby has the car for work all week so I don't have access to it during the cemetery's office opening hours

I can't believe they charge so much for just looking in their registers! Reading have just looked one up for me for free and are sending me a location map in the post

Comment

I'm not 100% sure Velma, but I don't think Battersea New Cemetery was there in 1900. OH's grandmother was buried there in 1951.

The housing that surrounds the site of the cemetery was built in the 1930s and OH & I both think the area was farmland before this. OH went to Morden Farm school which was built in the area for the children from the Morden Farm housing estates.

Update:
        Sorry, I stand corrected :( Battersea New Cemetery apparently opened in 1891. I really wouldn't have thought it was that old. I must pay more attemtion to the dates on the gravestones next time we visit Grandma's grave!
        Last edited by LangleyValeSue; 29-07-10, 08:05.
        My avatar is my Great Grandmother Emma Gumbert

Sue at Langley Vale

Comment

No worries Sue :D

I didn't know it was there before I saw the list on the Wandsworth council's website! He may not even be at Morden... this may be pure coincidence, but his widow lived with her daughter's family at nearby Hampton Hill from WW1 to her death in 1943. Although when Charles' daughter from his first marriage died at Long Grove Asylum, Epsom, in 1918, she was buried in Norwood cemetery, because she lived in that area, when I would have thought that she would have been put with her father (who isn't there BTW!).

Hopefully Carolyn can help me track down this grave

Comment

Hi there..

I hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread, but I wondered if Carolyn could look up a grave for me also...

The info I have is

Florence Ellen Payne born 1895, she died in Dec Qtr 1909 in Putney...

If you are unable to do the look up it is not a problem..

Thank you so much
            Jules x

Researching/ MADGWICK, RAMUS, PONT, MITCHELL, CHAMPION, GOSSLING, VAN STAADEN.

Comment

I've added your request to my list Jules, will report back sometime next week.

Originally posted by Flora1966 View Post
              Hi there..

I hope you dont mind me jumping in on this thread, but I wondered if Carolyn could look up a grave for me also...

The info I have is

Florence Ellen Payne born 1895, she died in Dec Qtr 1909 in Putney...

If you are unable to do the look up it is not a problem..

Thank you so much
              Jules x

Comment

Thank you Carolyn xx

Comment

I called in to the Putney Vale Cemetery Office today.

Velma, I could find no trace of either of your Guilfords at either Battersea New or Battersea Rise cemeteries. I also looked in the Index for Wandsworth cemetery and there were no Guilfords atall. I spoke to a very helpful young man there who said that part of Battersea came under Lambeth Borough and if Birley Street was in that part your gt grandparents could have been buried in one of their cemeteries. He gave me a phone number for Lambeth - 020 8672 6342.

Jules, I found Florence Ellen Payne buried at Putney Vale Cemetery on 2nd December 1909 aged 14, home address 46 Rotherwood Road. The grave reference was Section D.1, grave no. 355. It said it was a common grave, so probably no gravestone although I didn't have time to check.

Comment

Thank you Carolyn, I really appreciate you taking the time to do that for me

The daughter from Charles's first marriage is at West Norwood, which is covered by Lambeth. I found her burial on Ancestry and have emailed them for a plot location and am awaiting their response. There is a searchable database online - she isn't on it - so perhaps Charles & Hannah are there too but not on the database, although I can find no entry on Ancestry. I'll ask about Charles & Hannah when they get back to me.

Many thanks again

Comment

Thank you Carolyn so much..Thank you for taking the time to check xx

Comment

Working...
                      X