Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Newspaper Records Online?

Hi,
    I Do not really want to have to pay for these records, Are there any good online newspaper databases for the West Midlands area? (Birmingham, Wolverhampton etc) from the 19th century?

Regards,
    Joel Fraser

Have you tried your local library? You might find they have access to the collection of 19C newspaers and/or The Times. If they do you can use your own library ticket number at home to access them.

Anne

Ooops! I see you've already had this answer? What was the result???

Comment

I'm not sure if my library does this, as i have my library card with me, but im unsure of where to go with the code, what website would i have to go on?

Comment

Start by looking at your council website. They should have a Libraries section there and you might be able to see if they subscribe to Gale. If not, maybe give them a ring?

I was going to give you the link I use but I see the address is specially for Cumbria. When I go on there I just have to type in my Library card number. I must have gone via the Cumbria Libraries website originally.

Anne

Edit to ssay: A few years ago my library didn't subscribe to Gale. I filled in a 'suggestion' form and they eventually did it!

Comment

Ahh Ok, ill have to try and do that.
          I Mean i have the Specific dates that i'm looking for and the newspaper.
          Could you check out one or two for me?

Regards,
          Joel Fraser

Comment

Sorry, Joel, I went away! I looked at the link Angelina provided on your other thread but it looks as if Walsall libraries have access to The Times digital archive (I don't have that!) but not the 19C newspapers.

I'll be around this evening if you want me to have a look for you.

Anne

Comment

Would you like meto have a look, can access from home
              Elaine

Looking for Ward, Moore, Hunt, Warren...and who was Gertrude Wills

http://leicestermoores.tribalpages.com
              http://wardnottsleics.tribalpages.com

Comment

You can join Lancashire Libraries without living in the area. I did - and so can access all of these from home in the NE of England!
                Here's what they have access to http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/onrl/ca...rent%20Affairs
                Kind regards,
                William
                Particular interests: The Cumming families of Edinkillie & Dallas, Moray

Comment

I have found this one quite useful & cheap

Comment

That's a pay site, though - you can access the same newspapers for free from your home computer with your library card if your library has a subscription to Gale.

Comment

Would anyone recommend a site for London newspapers. My great grandfather Solomon Robert Smith died on 7th April 1946 in Ilford Essex and I am interested in finding out of there were any obituaries for him in the local papers. I have found through help from some members of the forum where he was buried and now have a photo of his gravestone. He was buried on 13/4/1946 in Manor Park Cemetery Illford in Essex and was living at 88A Ley Street in Ilford when he died.

As I live in Scotland I managed to find many of my Scottish ancestors in the local papers but wondered if I could do any searching for my English relatives in the newspapers.

Solomon fought with the Royal Artillery in WW1 then joined the Post Office after the War

Can anyone offer any advice

Thanks

Steven
                      Last edited by stevie2006; 31-07-10, 11:33.

Comment

Solomon fought with the Royal Artillery in WW1 then joined the Post Office after the War
                        There may be references to him, on both accounts, in the London Gazette: http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/search

I've spotted a Postman reference here: Date: 9 April 1926 Issue number: 33149 Page number: 2481

I think there's a military reference to him here: Date: 13 June 1919 Issue number: 31403 Page number: 7622
                        SUPPLEMENTARY TO REGULAR UNITS OR CORPS.
                        ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.
                        < snip >
                        2nd Lt. S, R. Smith is placed on the ret.
                        list on account of ill-health caused by
                        wounds. 15th June 1919.
                        Christine
                        Last edited by Christine in Herts; 31-07-10, 20:57.
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you so much for your help Christine - will check out the information

Steven

Comment

Working...
                          X