Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Frederick Birmingham

I am very new to this, so bear with me!
    I am trying to find some information on my great grandfather (I seem to be doing OK with my great grandmother so far).

This is what I know (well I hope it is correct):
    Name: John Frederick Birmingham
    Born: around 1863-1864, in Marylebone
    Married: 10 feb 1900
    Spouse: Annie Cook
    Census: 1911 - lived in 4 George St, Lisson Grove with wife Annie, children Katherine, John, Maurice, Edward, Ernest Walter, Margaret Louisa and father-in-law Edward Cook.
    Census: 1901 - I can find his Wife Annie, children Thomas, Catherine, John, Maurice and Annie's father Edward Cook at2 James Pl. I can not find him anywhere in 1901.
    Census 1891: I can his wife Annie Cook living with her father Edward Cook and Thomas (who is Cook at this time) at 27 Moore St. I can not find him either in this census anywhere.
    Census 1881 and 1871 I can find Annie and her father but again can not find John anywhere.

I have tried births (even births without a christian name), census, different spellings, etc and ma just having no luck at all finding anything about him. Would really appreciate some help to get something on him as I am stuck!

If it helps, my grandfather is Maurice Alexander Birmingham and was born 30 Apr 1900 at 2 James Pl, Paddington. He was married 17 May 1922 in St Marylebone to Annie Joan French.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction!

Welcome to FTF, Liz!

There are one or two real experts, here, at finding missing people in the censuses. Elaine...Spain is one. When you were looking in 1901, did you use the less-is-more approach, or did you put in lots of search-terms? Sometimes putting in less info throws up Hits which include mistranscriptions, and you can recognise the one you're after that way.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I've had a bit of a look, but without any success. I can't afford the time to spend any longer, but perhaps someone else will find the magic info-combination to winkle him out!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Hi Liz
        How sure are you that he was born in Marylebone? Could he have been born in Ireland?
        Have a look at this John (born c1862) & his family in Marylebone in 1871 Piece 173 Folio 71 Page 43
        There are 2 children younger than John born in London and one of them is a Maurice. Very few hits for Maurice Birmingham on A******. I can't find this Maurice again until 1901 & I can't find the others after 1871, perhaps they went back to Ireland.

Moggie

Comment

Hi i've found same as maudarby
          and there is a tree on ancestry with John b Cork Ireland parents John and Catherine
          Jayne

My avatar is great great granny Annie Pugh, possibly christened 24 Feb 1858.

Comment

Just an observation but the combined names of Maurice & Alexander appear quite a few times in Birmingham families.
            Moggie

Comment

Working...
            X