Australian Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Australian Help Please

Am looking for a HUGH LONSDALE who went to Australia between 1851 and 1861.
    He was from Lancashire and born 1835.
    On Ancestry I found the following.
    "Victoria,Australia,Assisted & Unassisted Passenger Lists 1839-1923" for an entry on Hugh Lonsdale.
    I do not have a world wide subscription is it possible for some kind soul to check this out for me.

ALSO does anyone have access to Australian Marriages as I think they married out there as their first child is listed born Epsom, Victoria in 1871 Census.

The PROV website shows Hugh Lonsdale aged 22 arrived Jan 1857 on the ship "Tudor" in company of Elizabeth Lonsdale, also aged 22. Don't know if ancestry has further information on these records.

Nothing appears in Ancestry Australian marriages - this could be their marriage on freebmd, is it a likely district ?

Marriages Dec 1856
    Lonsdale Hugh Haslingden 8e 119
    Kenyon Elizabeth Haslingden 8e 119

Hugh Oraryde Lonsdale's birth record shows on ancestry, but for a full birth cert. the Victorian BDMs can provide a full on-line image for a small fee.

Di
    Last edited by dicole; 27-07-10, 23:25. Reason: more info
    Diane
    Sydney Australia
    Avatar: Reuben Edward Page and Lilly Mary Anne Dawson

Comment

Thanks Dicole- That is certainly them as I know he married an Elizabeth.
      It does not state whether they were immigrants or visiting does it as they were back in UK in 1871.
      Thanks again

Comment

No its just incoming passenger lists. I have to go now, but suggest you could look on the NLA Trove site - they have digisted lots of Aus. newspapers including Melbourne's THE ARGUS, which usually listed passengers arriving. Might be some info there. I will look later.

Di
        Diane
        Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks for the NLA-Trove site details.
          I have searched there but cannot see anything about their arrival-but thanks anyway

Comment

Originally posted by holcan View Post
            Thanks Dicole- That is certainly them as I know he married an Elizabeth.
            It does not state whether they were immigrants or visiting does it as they were back in UK in 1871.
            Thanks again
            As the list is UNASSISTED passengers (meaning they paid full fare), it is difficult to tell whether they were just visiting, or migrated but decided to return home for any number of reasons (Didn't like Melbourne, wife missed parents and family, to claim an inheritance).

One of my families left England in 1851 for New Zealand, were there for about a year then moved to Tasmania, but after the death of their second child, returned home to England where they stayed for a couple of years. In 1862 they left England for Sydney, but two years later returned to Tasmania. Some people were very mobile in the mid 19th century.

Di
            Diane
            Sydney Australia

Comment

Thanks Di for advising that it was an unassisted list of passengers.
              From his parentage I am surprised that they could afford the fare, but I suppose 3rd Class would not be that bad. On the other hand perhaps his wife had funds-I will now check their marriage out.
              Once again very many thanks for your help.

Comment

The mind boggles at that many voyages in a short space of time. The voyage time each way was 3 to 4 months, including the Roaring Forties on the way out and rounding Cape Horn on the voyage back to England.
                Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

The marriage shows up here: http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
                  as being at Accrington, St James.

If someone is within range of a relevant records office, you may be able to get a copy of the parish register entry, for the price of a photocopy, instead of paying the full certificate price. I am assuming there's no need for a certified copy?

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Herts View Post
                    The marriage shows up here: http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
                    as being at Accrington, St James.

If someone is within range of a relevant records office, you may be able to get a copy of the parish register entry, for the price of a photocopy, instead of paying the full certificate price. I am assuming there's no need for a certified copy?

Christine
                    Thanks Christine. I only live in Oldham so I will obtain the marriage info. myself

Comment

Working...
                    X