Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a "cheap" way of narrowing this down?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a "cheap" way of narrowing this down?

Hi

I have William Thomas Elliott born 1854 in Gateshead, moved to Byker in Newcastle in the 1860's and lived there until at least 1891 with his family. His wife Ann died in 1898 and I believe I have found him still in Byker in 1901. Age and DOB match, occupation of a Blacksmith matches its just his marital status of single which is different.

There are a couple of William Elliott deaths between 1901 and 1911 in Newcastle.

I have found a William Elliott living in Newcastle with right age and place of birth, this time occupation is Pedlar. Im just trying to find out if the street he is living is still Byker or not, the problem im getting is that most of Byker was knocked down and rebuilt and people want me to buy copies of old maps!!

If anyone has any knowledge of this area, the adress details look like Barliol Street??

So is there any other way of not buying 1001 William Elliott death certs?
    Robyne

Name interests: Alderton, Osborne, Danslow, Hanley, Bowkett, Lakin, Elliott, Banner, Walters, Reed, Deighton, Sleight, Dungar ;)

Why don't you try the local family history society website? they might have an enquiry contact you could ask. Also maybe the local library but if you can't get to that maybe your library could send for some books/pas that might help.
    Margaret

Comment

I presume the two BMD entries that have caught your attention are in Jun Q 1906 and Jun Q 1907. You could write to Newcastle Register Office, giving Willam"s name, estimated age, occupation and Byker location, (explain this as last known address), enclose cheque(9 GBP), and ask them to check entries. If details on either match, ask them to issue copy certificate. If negative result, it is my experience that the cheque will be returned. I have used this practice quite regularly when trying to trace Welsh ancestors. They only need to know the year and quarter, the GRO volume and page reference is not relevant. Not sure where you are located but if in UK, you may want to include telephone number. I have had discussions in past with Register Office about options when two close matches.

Comment

This will take some patience but try this link to maps you can choose the age of and then search around.. if the street is obscure try going backwards and forwards through adjacent census sheets until you find something recognisable... good luck. I know it says Durham but it covers a good deal around!

Comment

Working...
        X