Dale Schoolhouse, Arbroath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dale Schoolhouse, Arbroath

Has anyone any information concerning Dale Schoolhouse in Arbroath. My great Aunt died there in 1952. I do know that her sister and husband, Frances and James Tollerton were at a school in Arbroath for a long while up to the 1960's and I have always thought,(from what people in the family said) that they were at a corrective school. Any information anyone can give me will be very much appreciated

This may be the same place

I can only find any reference to it being an approved / industrial school for boys. You might find some more information here

Jackie

Comment

Many thanks. This information has proved most useful.

Comment

hello to nodrogow, I can give you some info as I was a boy who was there in 1952 to 1954, mr tollerton was a 64 year old then and was an rsm regimental sergeant major prior to being the headmaster.

Comment

all the relevant info dissappeared ???? as no information about the school exists, It was a very bad school for the inmates ,I was only 11years and we were all 60 boys terrified and treated very bad, and lives with me all my life

Comment

I was brought up in the council flats ( 1955 -69 )directly opposite the Dale School .
            The school postal address was Brechin Road , Arbroath , Angus.
            Everyone of us in the various flats next to the school felt so sorry for those lads , we were out and free and able to play , and those poor lads had an execise area / play ground at the rear of the building and adjoining Airlie Cres , it was fenced off but we could talk to them ( if no one was looking ).

They paraded out on Brechin Rd every morning ready to go to school and we were forbidden to talk to them while they were stood there, but could speak to them after they set off .
            I have sad memories of one lad about my age , sobbing his heart out and i never forgot that moment ( hence here i am on here today ) .

I do remember the surname of one of the them in the late 50's early 60's , it was " Gorman " .

Below is a piccy i took from Brechin Rd , looking down towards where my council flat was ( now bungalows & trees ) , the Dale School wall is on the right and stretched down to the excercise area by the lampost visible.

Airlie.jpg

http://www.theshoppie.com/arbroath/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2181

Comment

Hi
              If it is not too painful a memory, can you tell me why boys went to The Dale School. Mr. Tollerton was my great Uncle, but I am under no illusions that life was to him as if he were still an rsm. Did you know anything about his wife Frances (known as Fan)

Comment

Originally posted by Nodrogw View Post
                Hi
                If it is not too painful a memory, can you tell me why boys went to The Dale School. Mr. Tollerton was my great Uncle, but I am under no illusions that life was to him as if he were still an rsm. Did you know anything about his wife Frances (known as Fan)
                Hi Nodrogw,

it looks like Keithr hasn't been onsite for a few months, it might be better to send him a PM [Private Message] via our site, to do this click on his username on the left hand side and you will get a drop down box to enable you to PM him.
                Julie
                They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Originally posted by Nodrogw View Post
                  Hi
                  Hi Nodrogw,
                  Its not painful for me , but it will be for those poor lads !
                  As you stated in your original post it was a " corrective school " .
                  All boys wore uniform and paraded before leaving to go to public school in town , this was our chance to talk to them and their chance to be away from the Dale School.

Sadly I cannot help you with your relatives as I myself was so young at the time born 1951 , and we were not exactly encouraged to ask questions.

You have to remember my contact with the boys was through a fence in the exercise yard or on the way to school where they had some freedom.
                  They were most definitely under correction and not encouraged to natter to outsiders.
                  Keith

Comment

The link that Night Owl gave in post #2 - http://195.153.34.9/catalogue/detail...ce=GB251/GD/X3 - shows that records about the school are kept at Dundee City Archive and Record Centre. There seem to be admissions books and punishment books available to view.

I think your next best step to find out more is have a look there for references about your relative - it may say for instance in the admissions book why he was sent there.

If you can't get to the archive yourself you could ask on the Research Requests Board on this site if someone could go for you. It would be an interesting and specific piece of research for someone.

As regards the wife then you perhaps need to find her family tree and see if you can contact someone connected to her for information.

Margaret
                    Last edited by margaretmarch; 11-10-12, 07:47.

Comment

Working...
                    X