Bulmer in the Parish of Lythe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulmer in the Parish of Lythe

Looking for information on Richard and Elizabeth (nee Beswick) Bulmer who both died in Lythe parish, Yorkshire, early 1800's. Elizabeth died in 1816 leaving 4 young children. Richard died in 1819. Did Richard remarry after Elizabeth's death? Who looked after the children and where? Any ideas as to where I may be able to find answers to these puzzles?

Have you seen this website, Fred?

Elizabeth
    Research Interests:
    England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
    Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Yes, Elizabeth I have, but it really doesn't help me with the details I am after. Would really love to know where and with who the children lived after the deaths of their parents. Thanks for your prompt reply.

Comment

Fred, I'm afraid you may never know! There tends to be an unfilled gap between a birth or marriage and the first census of any use in 1841. If the family was in dire straits it is worth checking the Workhouse records (if available) to see if they were living there for a while.

By the way, my OH's family came from Whitby. You could try the local archive - we saw the original church records for my husband's family.
        Elizabeth
        Research Interests:
        England:Purkis, Stilwell, Quintrell, White (Surrey - Guildford), Jeffcoat, Bond, Alexander, Lamb, Newton (Lincolnshire, Stalybridge, London)
        Scotland:Richardson (Banffshire), Wishart (Kincardineshire), Johnston (Kincardineshire)

Comment

Thanks Elizabeth, for the suggestion re the local archive. May have to seek help with a look up from that area, for the possibility of Richard remarrying after Elizabeth's death in 1816.

Comment

You could also check Poor Law and Apprenticeship records at the local archives.

Comment

Originally posted by fred View Post
              Elizabeth died in 1816 leaving 4 young children.
              Are you sure you have the right death for Elizabeth? There's a transcription of Lythe PRs on Ancestry, and the only burial in 1816 for an Elizabeth Bulmer shows her as being 77 years old.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                Are you sure you have the right death for Elizabeth? There's a transcription of Lythe PRs on Ancestry, and the only burial in 1816 for an Elizabeth Bulmer shows her as being 77 years old.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/Browse/...837.unknown.10
                Yes, Mary, I have the same on the NBI. It looks as though Richard died first. His burial is there:

Richard Bulmer 21st September 1819 aged 30 St Oswald Lythe

There is no burial given in the NBI for any other Elizabeth apart from the 77 year old in 1816.

N.B. The NBI give this Elizabeth the surname BALMER.
                Elizabeth
                Research Interests:

Comment

Thanks Mary and Elizabeth. Now wondering if the info we had received from others was correct at all. Would there be a possibility that Elizabeth could have died in another parish as the youngest child, Thomas was born in 1816 in Wykeham? Another thought - Elizabeth was also known as Betty. Could her death be registered under that name?

Comment

I had a quick look at the Lythe transcription on Ancestry, and I can't see her registered as Betty. She could even have remarried after Richard died, not necessarily in Lythe.

Comment

Working...
                    X