The Munches Estate in Kirkcudbrightshire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Munches Estate in Kirkcudbrightshire

My great grandfather Benjamin Hunter Skilling worked as garden labourer in the 1880's and for much of that time lived at 'Broomisle' in Buittle, Kirkcudbrightshire. I understand that Broomisle was a dwelling and searching on the internet, there is a Broomisle cottage which can be rented for holidays. Does anyone know if this is the same Broomisle which existed in the late 1880's. My grandmother often referred to 'The Maxwells of The Munches'. Can anyone tell me if they had other properties in other parts of the UK. My great grandfather was working as a gardener at Hatfield Court in Herefordshire, and I cannot see any reason why he would move so far from home unless he was working for someone who had homes in different parts of the UK. Any information would be gratefully received. I hope to visit Scotland later this year so if I know that the cottage still exists, it would make my visit more interesting

Nodrogw

It is very likely to be the same cottage, but a check on the 1881 census etc should be able to let you guess how many dwellings there were at Broomisle.

There are a few burials in the nearby church at Buittle, referring to Broomisle, so I assume it was a small hamlet. Cannot find it on a map but Googlemaps are refusing to load properly for me.

OC

Comment

This doesn't offer any more information - but the site "ScotlandsPlaces" gives the following for Munchies-
      "A populated place in the parish of Buittle.

Just mentioning it here as it is a useful site when looking for places in Scotland.
      Good luck.
      herky
      Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Working...
      X