Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genes reunited

hiya!

what do you all think of this website? Ive registered & I've tried searching for some of my family & had no joy at all, this website says it has records for all birth's death's etc.....

What do you think?

Victoria
    XXX

i joined it years ago it was fine then but think its gone downhill since so i left and enjoy this site more friemdly and helpful and they put their fees up so much george

Comment

For the price charged GR is utterly rubbish compared to Ancestry or FMP in terms of it's available records and search engines. It's dreadfully clunky and limiting compared to the wealth of user friendly features on other sites. It's only redeeming feature is that it is very cheap to host a basic tree on the site to make contacts and connections. I would never now recommend it for serious research even though I started my journey there and paid for Gold membership once. I still host a tree on the free membership but refuse to pay there now, given that I've gone past the first flurries of contacting people.

Kate x

Comment

I use GR to host my tree as it has produced a lot of leads and contacts, but the research side of the site is rubbish.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

The best thing about GR is the possible contacts you might get with other people in your extended family. I have had some good ones and had letters and photos generously shared with me which I never even knew about. Some of the forums lists can be quite interesting as well.

HOWEVER you don't need to pay anything to put a tree on there and wait and see if anyone contacts you. (You cannot start a contact without paying).

As others have said, GR represents poor value for actually looking at records compared to Ancestry and Findmypast. Perhaps this might begin to change now it is owned by brightsolid, who also run findmypast?

Anne

Comment

Personally, I would not use it for searching records.
            It has been worth the membership for the friends that I have made over the years and some lateral thinking help I was given a few years ago; nowadays I like to give help there when I am able to do so.
            Joy

Comment

Definitely not for searching records because as others have said Ancestry/Findmypast are better value subs, though you may be lucky and find some contacts, if you have a basic tree on there. I would not put a full tree on there. A basic one would be good enough to find any contacts. I have never been lucky, though two people did manage to get a full tree of mine and publish on GR, much to my annoyance, especially as one had not done his homework and was barking up the wrong tree! I had to purchase a marriage cert, which he should have purchased, just to prove that he had the wrong family! The other one took the tree off when asked, so I have had little luck on GR, but much luck on Rootsweb and other sites. I belonged to GR for about 4 years, but now no longer am a member, though I have retained the very basic tree for the last 3 years, still with no luck!Hot matches are a joke, especially when I have hot matches with mother mother!

Janet
              Last edited by Janet; 24-07-10, 12:46.

Comment

I made some excellent contacts on there, which lead to family members, photos etc, when I joined four years ago. But these days hardly ever have a contact at all, it appears to me to be becoming a site that has had it's day.

Comment

I actually prefer the tree format on GR. I also have a FTM tree separately (I have had to let my Ancestry lapse - couldn't afford it this time), but I always make additions and changes to the GR one first, because I find it easier to see the family relationships. When you add the siblings, you can often pick up naming patterns - i.e. children named after uncles and aunts. They are all there on FTM but hidden.

Comment

I have my family tree on Genes Reunited and Ancestry. Found lots of contacts on both.
                    Don't subscribe to 'full' Genes Reunited just the basic.

A couple of weeks ago I was contacted by someone who had purchased the birth certificate of my Irish Gran's nephew Daniel Brady born Dublin! I had found him on 1911 Census but as his father wasn't listed I couldn't be sure if it was the same family!
                    So glad I listed my Gt Grandfather's siblings marriages on the GR Brady Board....certainly pays to use the message boards on Genes Reunited.

Of course Ancestry have message boards too but you have so many choices. Eg., Countries & County with General etc or just the Surname Board which is massive to trawl through.
                    teresa

Comment

Working...
                    X