Whose up to beating FMP "expert"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whose up to beating FMP "expert"?

I just had an email from them with a newsletter and I had a peep and saw this query from a member. Im not up to checking out stuff like I used to be able to :( the eyes let me down. But can any FTF member find these people on the census:

'I am trying to trace the family of Lilian (Lillian) Alexander who was murdered in Edingthorpe in April 1901, aged 8. She was born in 1892. She had a sister Alice who gave evidence at the trial of her murderer who was born in 1890. Dad was the 'late' Matthew Alexander on Lilian's death certificate. I can find nothing on any of the censuses about the family, who Mum was etc."

The FMP expert has told her to get the birth cert (they are recorded in Smallburgh district on bmd) but can anyone track them down in the 1891 or 1901?

Wrong surname but other details fit:
    I saw that Matthew Alexander died in Smallburgh Q3 1893 aged 54 so searched Smallburgh district in 1891 for a Matthew born about 1839 in same household as Alice born 1890 and came up with
    Matthew SAUNDERS aged 50 in Bacton, wife Hannah aged 31, children George 13, Louise 10, Charles 5 and Alice 5m

Then searched for Hannah and ALice in 1901 and found living in Edingthorpe, RG13 piece 1822 folio 38 page 6,
    James Marshall 35
    Hannah Marshall wife 40
    Charles Saunders stepson, 15
    Alice Marshall daughter 10
    Lillian Marshall daughter 8
    Margarate Marshall dau 7
    Laura Marshall dau 3
    Gertrude Marshall dau 1
    Last edited by JudithM; 23-07-10, 22:07.
    Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

And here's the marriage:
      Q4 1893
      Smallburgh 4b 95
      Alexander Hannah
      Banyer John
      Marshall James
      Peggs Emma

Comment

My Scottish Alexanders are often (mis?)transcribed as Saundy or Saunders.

OC

Comment

This family seem to consistently call themselves Saunders on census but register events as Alexander and a baby name book gives "Son of Alexander" as the meaning of Saunders

Comment

Oh clever Judith - have you added it to the FMP site? No marriage for Hannah and Matthew though? Bit of a gap in those kids isnt there. As Charles is shown as a Saunders and a step son, Im guessing the girls Alice, Lilian and possibly Margaret were hers and Matthews but not the elder kids.

Nope, looks like Hannah was mum to all the kids from 1878
            Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 24-07-10, 00:59.

Comment

They were in Middlesex when the eldest boy was born 1878 - cant see a marriage though.

Ive put the info on FMP giving all credit to Judith Very well done.

Comment

I'm wondering if they might have married in Scotland, although I suppose it's more likely they never married at all.

Google isn't picking up anything about a murder trial.

OC

Comment

This is the only item I came up with for Edingthorpe, a murder that occured in 1901:

It is rather shocking to read that a coroner's jury at Edingthorpe (Norfolk) has found a verdict of " Wilful murder" against a boy of twelve, who shot a girl of nine; further inquiry will be followed with interest The old Saxon law, according to Blackstone, regarded twelve years as " the age of possible discretion," and after fourteen innocence was not to be presumed merely on the ground of youth. Now, the positive law is that an infant under seven cannot be guilty of an indictable offence ; after that limit, each case is to be judged on its merits. —

Janet

Comment

Amazing stuff.

I wish I had the patience and eyes that I used to have. To think Id spend hours chasing down first names or just villages now I dont seem able to get into it. :( May be with the new glasses

Just thought re the name - my GGFx2 was known as sander Verrall (or saunder Verrall) all his life. But on his daughters marriage cert as Alexander Verrall. I guess it was a very common swop over then from Alexander.
                    Last edited by Heather Positive Thinker; 25-07-10, 10:58.

Comment

Well James Bulger's killers were only 10 or 11 when they were tried and convicted of murder. In their case they clearly meant to kill. But a 12-year-old country boy shooting a girl doesn't sound like murder, more like an accident. I wonder what happened to him?
                      ~ with love from Little Nell~
                      Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Dont know Nell, I spose if there were witnesses saying he pointed the gun at her and said he intended to shoot her ..................

Comment

Alexander can be shortened to a variety of names Al, Alec, Zander, Alex, it is very common for scots who are bapt Alexander to be called 'Sandy'
                          Julie
                          They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Working...
                          X