Tracing a living grandmother

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tracing a living grandmother

Does anyone have any advice on trying to trace my maternal grandmother, name removed - possible living person. She was last seen around 1974 in Scunthorpe, but come to a brick wall. I have found a birth record and marriage record but no death record. She would be 74 now if still with us. We heard a rumour she moved to London then Wales but its only a rumour. Any advice would be great thanks. Shaun.
    Last edited by Elaine ..Spain; 23-07-10, 15:48. Reason: removal of name of possible living person

Hi, and welcome to Family Tree Forum.
    I am sorry I have had to remove the name from your post as we do not allow the publication of names of possible living persons on the forum.

Hopefully members might be able to give you some advice as to what options are available - and if anyone feels they can help perhaps they could contact Shaun via PM (personal message)
    Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Sorry about that, I didnt know the rules on living people. But if anybody can help then I would be very grateful.

Comment

Hi Shaun,

You could try this site, which includes phone books and some fairly recent electoral rolls (although people can opt out now):

I take it you've searched the deaths on Ancestry or FindmyPast? They go up to about 2005.

Comment

Hi - might be worth an ask on the Adoption/Reunion forum as well...it's closed to google...

Comment

will someone help shaun with this please he can p/m all details but is a little bit stuck as to finding out where his granny went after she left the area in 1975 . he put a add in our local paper with photo asking for help and this is how be became friends. his granny lived in dragonby lincolnshire as a housemaid for a gentleman who has since died and only rumour his granny went to live in london but unsure of the true facts . PLEASE PLEASE help him i know u lot will somehow have the answers maybe within hours or few days. think he has searched ancestry for deaths but maybe looking for wrong name as she might of got remarried etc. shaun post up exactly what u have done only put names of deceased people on here but p/m anyone willing to help with the full lot. also years of searching and in what name and whether death or marriage look ups u have done. i think your help is ready to blow now lol. sorry these guys i know will help u hello to people that know me i be popping in quite often as not been around on here since my research stopped with adoption etc as will cracked it after 3 years final result. x

Comment

Hello thank you for your reply Mary. I have tried the deaths on ancestry, none under her last known name. I have her birth record and marriage record on ancestry, but no clue after that.
              Last edited by shaunallison1982; 26-07-10, 01:02.

Comment

I have searched on ancestry for any marriages over the last 35 years with my grandmothers last known name and came out with 6 results. None tie in with the rumour that she moved to London. I then searched for deaths under all 6 of these new married names with a birth year of 1936 but no luck. Can anyone please help me find a new angle to help me with my search? Im running out of ideas on what my options are. Im not in a position to ask immediate family to my grandmother as all have past away (her parents, siblings, ex husband and ex partner). She has only 1 daughter as we are aware of (my mum, and my grandmother was about 38 when she was last contacted before she moved away). Please can anyone help me!

Many thanks,

Shaun.
                Last edited by shaunallison1982; 26-07-10, 01:10.

Comment

Have you tried the Salvation Army tracing service?

Comment

My mum tried the Salvation Army trace a few years ago but could not locate her. The village she lived in is very small and nobody there knows her (either died or moved there recently).

Comment

try putting the village in on this site...it is a free site www.ancestral-villages.co.uk and then search through the names....good luck allan
                      Allan ......... researching oakes/anyon/standish/collins/hartley/barker/collins-cheshire
                      oakes/tipping/ellis/jones/schacht/...garston, liverpool
                      adams-shropshire/roberts-welshpool
                      merrick/lewis/stringham/nicolls-herefordshire
                      coxon/williamson/kay/weaver-glossop/stockport/walker-gorton

Comment

Thank you, I will try that site now, thanks for your reply! Im very grateful for all the help Im getting with this. It feels sometimes like I keep going down a dead end! Im sure that there are people on here and everywhere that have felt the same. But its really nice to know that there are some big hearts out there!

Regards,
                        Shaun

Comment

I have just tried the website, but no name coming up for the village where she was born. I have created an account with them and added her details to it as you never know someone might research her name at some point. Great idea for a website though.

Comment

Im wondering if she has remarried or had a name change. Is there a website or someone who knows how to look for records of this?

Comment

Hi - have you looked in the London Gazette - http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/hom...geotype=London
                              Sometimes you'll find name changes....
                              Also, it's worth entering the various addresses that you have...go to advanced search..makes it a bit easier..
                              You don't have to register to use the site.

Comment

Originally posted by shaunallison1982 View Post
                                My mum tried the Salvation Army trace a few years ago but could not locate her. The village she lived in is very small and nobody there knows her (either died or moved there recently).
                                Might be worth trying again - they might find her through electoral rolls...or at least up to a certain point.
                                As far as Im aware, the SA didn't speak to people when I used their service. Also, what about her last known employer..was she left money in a will for example. Again, you might see something in the LG.

Comment

Working...
                                X