Last Ditch effort............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Last Ditch effort............

This is a last ditch effort to try and discover what happened to my great uncle, the following is what I know of him so far............

Jonathan Chandler born 1835 and christened at St Peter Liverpool. Married Elizabeth Mercer Dec qtr 1858 ref 8b 56. at St Peter Liverpool. Occupation Block maker Mariner St Peter Church Street Liverpool central Established 1704 Closed 1919. Marriage ref: Dec q. 1858 Liverpool. 8b 56 (cert obtained). Per my research 12.08.09: Absolutely no trace of Jonathan on any of the census returns up to 1871 when his wife is shown as a widow. No trace of him under any permutations &all checks made on findmypast. No trace either of his death record, either on GRO registrations or findmypast burials/deaths abroad or at sea. I am at a total loss as to what to make of this, as it is most unusual not to trace someone via at least one of the normal registrations. Updated SET-B 12.08.09

Jonathan & Elizabeth had 2 daughters, both of whom also appear to have gone missing but, that is something to concentrate on at a later date.......
    Elizabeth later re~married, and we have traced her successfully.

Much of the research on him was carried out by my cousin (also a member of FTF) whilst I researched other Chandlers etc...........

We have now come to a brick wall on Jonathan so, if there is anyone who likes a challenge and is willing to have a go at this, we would very much appreciate any clue which may point us in the right/another direction.

Many thanks in advance..........here's hoping......;D
    Jen

Researching: Brandon.London/M/cr. Tyson.France/Mcr.

My OH has a number of fishermen in his tree who were lost at sea. There is NO record of their deaths at all apart from newspaper and other lists about which trawlers were lost. They were amongst 150 men from Hull who lost their lives in one storm in the 1890s. When a whole ship is lost who can say what happened to the men? They are missing presumed drowned but there is no record of that. :(

Anne

Comment

I think that is going to be the only conclusion we can draw from this Anne, after exhausting all other avenues. The only other option to look at now is to try and find him with one or both of his daughters.....which is a long shot I know, as we haven't yet found deaths or marriages for them.
      Jonathan's younger brother Charles was also a Block Maker/Mariner, and we can't find any trace of him either after his marriage. I suppose it's possible they could have joined the same ship and both drowned???
      Jen

Comment

I suppose you have seen the 1861 for Elizabeth at home with her parents, married to a sailor, so he was still alive in 1861

Class: RG9; Piece: 2599; Folio: 17; Page: 4;

mm

Comment

Yes I have that thanks mm, they married in 1858 so it's all the years after 1861 he is missing, which in itself is a little strange especially as they had 2 daughters. He isn't with his wife and children, so perhaps at sea. But still no trace even there.
          Jen

Comment

1851 census a block maker

HO107; Piece: 2181; Folio: 825; Page: 26;

mm

Comment

Thank you mm, have it all ready.
              Jen

Comment

Have you checked with the Maritime Museum Liverpool to see if he is in any of their records, I think the Maritime Museum records dept is only open 2 days per week, http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/maritime/visit/ Tues-Thurs open

Edna

Comment

Yes I have looked a couple of times Edna, but it's worth another try. Thanks for the link.
                  Oops, sorry no I haven't actually been there Edna, can't get that far I'm afraid.
                  I thought you meant the link on here, which I checked some time ago.
                  Last edited by Jen~Ealogy; 23-07-10, 18:34.
                  Jen

Comment

You could send them an e mail to see if they would check for you and see how much they would charge for the search.
                    Or join one of the Liverpool Forums and see if anyone can check for you

Edna

Comment

heres one
                      Edna

Comment

I don't know of any Liverpool forums Edna, but I will send them an email and see if they can help. Thanks for suggesting it.
                        Jen

Comment

Oh I think you anticipated my next question there Edna. Many thanks.
                          Jen

Comment

Working...
                          X