He was right under my nose!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He was right under my nose!

I just wanted to share a small - ok, make that tiny - triumph...

I was looking for information about a relative called Ellen Bridget Wade; I discovered that her husband, George Tabor, died in 1903. I couldn't find a death record for her, so wondered if she'd got married again. Sure enough, there she was in the BMD index, getting married again in 1904. But I couldn't find out which of the two men listed on that page she married: William Spicer or Branch (?!) Charles E Taylor.

I went round and round in circles trying to find anything that linked either man to a wife called Ellen, but with no luck. Then, on an impulse, I went back to the 1901 census and there she is, living with husband Charles - and a boarder called William Spicer!
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

It does pay to look carefully at the census. In successive censuses I had a widow and her unmarried daughter as "proprietor of lodging house". In one census they have a male lodger. By the next census mum has died and the 45-year-old spinster has married the lodger.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Working...
    X