Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dorice - Unusual name or not?

Hi all,

Would just like to ask if anyone has come across the first name Dorice in any of their family tree reserch (b.1892). I am trying to track down my great-great-Aunt, Dorice Scarlett ... born in Portsmouth & living there still with her maternal grandmother at the time of the last census in 1911. She was also a witness at a family wedding in Southsea in 1915.
    Family 'ledgend' says that she later lived in Scotland and never got married. I can find no trace at all of any marriage of death on either Scotlands People or on various english bmd sites.

A quick google of the name Dorice Scarlett brings up a record (https://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/...ges/58/pagepdf) referring to a lady by that name in December 1930 being promoted at the Admiralty.

I don't want to jump to any conclusions, but the time period seems to fit and it is a very unusual name. Also, has anyone got any ideas about how to do some research into the Admiralty in Scotland?

Thanks all

Hayley
    Hayley

Researching SCARLETT, HOLLAND, STICKLAND/STRICKLAND, QUICK - in Portsmuth area
    DAVIES, LLEWELLYN, WALSH in Wales

Perhaps they wanted her to sound/look a bit different from all the other Dorises! Or it might be a variant of the French Dorine. No idea where the Scottish Admiralty archives are, but perhaps googling might help, or you could contact the Scottish national archives and ask them for advice.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Thanks Nell. Tried googling Scottish Admiralty & several variations of that but I keep getting directed to the main, London Admiralty. Maybe the Scottish National Archives might be the best place to start.
      Hayley

Comment

Hi
        The name is also in the London Gazette for September 1925
        WendyP

Comment

Dorice Scarlett
          death
          March 1965
          aged 72
          Gosport
          Hampshire
          6B 406

Comment

Perhaps it all originated with a deaf registrar or a mumbling imformant.
            Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Val - Thanks for that, I think that may be the right death you have found as the location is very near where her family lived most of their lives. I'll send for the death cert as it would be very interesting to know who registered the death!
              Hayley
              Hayley

Comment

she is the only Dorice Scarlett recorded on Ancestry

Comment

I have not come across it in fam hist research but my friends mother is a Dorice, and her family are Hertfordshire born and bred.
                  Life's a journey not a destination.

Currently researching: Makey (Kent), Heath & Neil (London & Devon), Pegg (Norfolk & Suffolk), Gulliford (Cornwall).... Still busy busy!

Comment

The Admiralty was responsible for the command of the Royal Navy of the United Kingdom but I should think they will have had offices in Scotland just like they had and still have naval establishments there.

There is a guide to finding Civil Servants on the TNA site: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/c...sLeafletID=358
                    Last edited by Caroline; 25-07-10, 07:26.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Little Nell View Post
                      Perhaps they wanted her to sound/look a bit different from all the other Dorises! Or it might be a variant of the French Dorine. No idea where the Scottish Admiralty archives are, but perhaps googling might help, or you could contact the Scottish national archives and ask them for advice.
                      I have learned something, Nell
                      My Mum's name is Dorine and I didn't know that the name is French.
                      Joy

Comment

Working...
                      X