Castle of Sanquhar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Castle of Sanquhar??

Below is the birth certificate entry for my 4x great-grandfather, Adam Anderson, born in 1813.

After his parents' names, Alexander and Margaret, it says "Castle of Sanquhar". I'm obviousely quite intrigued by this! Would this have been where the birth was registered? Or perhaps their residence? I've looked into the history of the castle but I can't seem to find any information for that period; it was abandoned after the death of Sir William Douglas of Drumlanrig in 1695 and then aquired again in 1895 by John Crichton-Stewart for restoration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Even if the castle was abandoned they perhaps lived somewhere on the estate.
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

I agree with Uncle John, it was where they lived, on the estate. Are they still there in 1841?

OC

Comment

On the 1841 census alot of people had the address (Sanquar Castle) in Sanquhar

mm

Comment

And here was I thinking I had stumbled upon the rich ancestors that would have made the frustrating research so far entirely worth it! Thanks though guys. Still interesting mind you!

Comment

When my kids were small we spent many holidays on a farm near to Sanquhar, though not a very picturesque village, it was very characterfull, and their butcher made the best Scottish Rounds in whole of the lowlands.

mm

Comment

Working...
            X