Samuel Stokes marriage help - 1837 Middlesex

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Samuel Stokes marriage help - 1837 Middlesex

Hi when I had the trial with Ancestry a year or so ago I managed to find out that my ancestor Samuel Stokes married a Sarah Nixon on 6/3/18137 in Middlesex.

Unfortunately my new Ancestry package is just the basic one and I cannot view any of the marriage records that show the marriage and wondered if anyone can help. If I can locate the image and save it it might tell me who Samuel's father was which would be another generation further back

I know that Samuel was a waterman by trade and I think he was born around 1812 in Brentford. His wife was Sarah Nixon and I think her father was James Nixon and the mother was a Susannah Morrill or Merrell. I know that Samuel died in 1869 (July/Aug/Sep 3a page 60) but haven't ordered the certificate as it won't give me anything else I don't already know.

Can anyone help

Thanks

Steven

Hi sorry to be a bit silly but I found a marriage index in 1837 but when I view the image it only has Samuel's name on it - how do you verify that it is correct? Do you then have to search for the wife and see if the page and volume match up? If anyone can send me an image it might save me having to order the certificate

Many thanks

Steven

Comment

Sorry its me again also found an image on the Pallot's marriage index bit again due to my subsciption can't access it - it listes Sarah as Sarah Nickson. Wasn't sure if this information would help anyone to locate them

Steven

Comment

The marriage was pre-registration & the only other names are Jane MOLES & what looks like Timothy TOE. There is a baptism of a Samuel to William & Eleanor in New Brentford in 1814 Bargeman.
        Glen

Comment

Thnaks Glen I thought I might have been on the cusp of available records and when I found some details on Ancestry but couldn't view them I thought I might have struck gold. Is there a chance it could be them on the Pallot's index and would that have any more information

Steven

Comment

No, I think Pallot's only has the names & the year. Does he have any siblings born later?
            Glen

Comment

There's a Henry bapt. to a William & Eleanor in Ealing but living in Old Brentford in 1822 Lighterman.
              Glen

Comment

Could this be the family -

1841 census

The Hollows, Ealing

Samuel Stokes 25 Bargeman
                Sarah 25
                Lucy 3
                William 2
                unnamed 2 week old baby

On the same page is a Nixon family

James 50 Labourer
                Susan 45
                James 14

Comment

And Mary Ann 1827, same details. Henry died aged 3 but couldn't find burial or marriage for Mary Ann. Ditto for William & Eleanor.
                  Glen

Comment

Terrianne thats them on the census, thanks.

Glen do you think that William could be the father? Occupation seems right. I take it because its before 1837 I have no way of verifying any details? I thnk Samuel was born around 1812 but no excat date. I don't know of any siblings for Samuel as the first census in 1841 he is married and not with his parents. Thanks for your help

The most annoying thing is I can't remember where I got the date of marriage from lol I have it written in my book but can't recall how I got it!!!

Steven
                    Last edited by stevie2006; 21-07-10, 21:27.

Comment

Samuel Stokes/Sarah Nickson. The marriage was at St Mary the Virgin, Norwood Green, on the date you have. Because it was the older type register, it did not give the names of the fathers.

Carol

Comment

Samuel Stokes baptised 9th January 1814 St laurence, New Brentford. Parents William & Eleanor - bargeman.
                        Wendy

PLEASE SCAN AT 300-600 DPI FOR RESTORATION PURPOSES. THANK YOU!

Comment

Thanks Carol and thanks Wendy.

Wendy is there anyway to find out Eleanor's surname and anyway to find William's birth or is it too far in the past

Steven

Comment

Thanks for all you help Wendy really appreciate it. Samuel is about the hardest member of my tree I have come across. I have him in 1841 cannot find him at all in 1851 or 1861 and I know he died in 1869. I think with his waterman roots he must move around a lot and disappear from time to time lol

Steven

Comment

Just by complete chance I came across a Samuel Stoakes waterman in 1861 in Brentford - what a result but still no sign in 1851

Steven

Comment

Working...
                              X