Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Make a CD

Hey all,

I have tried so far probably 10+ different pieces of software trying to make a decent looking family tree. What I want to do is to make a CD where I can give to other family members and they can load it in their computer or either their DVD player possibly where they can view the family tree and explore it ... any ideas?

Which family tree program do you have on your computer?

I use Family Historian and if I wanted to make a tree for people to look at I would print it to a .pdf document and put that on the CD so they can scroll around it. Very easy for them to do.

A bit more complicated would be to get them to install a demo program just to read your Gedcom files. Many 'half interested' people would not actually want to be bothered with that I suspect!!

Anne

Comment

See the problem I have with a .PDF is I have over 3600 people and I can't find a decent program to print it to one file or image so you can view it seemlessly.. its hundreds of feet wide so it is extremely hard to find a program that can do this.

I'd like to find a program that burns a CD and when you put it into your computer it auto loads ready to view.

Comment

The programs so far I've tried are:

GedHTree, MyHeritage Family Tree Builder, Family Historian, Family History CD, Heredis 11, Planete Genealogie, GedMill, GedPage, GedGen, Ged2HTML

I have tried more too but nothing gives what I want..

Comment

You mention you have tried Family Historian, it may be worth returning to it and spending some time customising it. Adding small diagrams for each section along with key reports (ancestor and descendant outlines) as a way to get people into the tree easily. When I do my CD's I add additional pages with stories for key people along with Narrative reports. If I am building for specific people I add an Ancestor diagram for them to use as a stepping off point.
          Jane
          Family Historian User Group : My Family History : My Photography
          "Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad."

Comment

Working...
          X