Alfred Chainey b1866

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alfred Chainey b1866

I am looking at Alfred Chainey b 1866 Bradford Abbas. I think he married Annie Loader in 1889 and then lived in Fisherton Anger (1901 census) with his 5 children. He is a Railway engine driver. Annie died in 1903 in Salisbury.
    Looking on to the 1911 census there is an Alfred Chainey who is a railway driver but married to Mary with two daughters who have different names to those on the 1901 census.
    I'm sure it is the same Alfred Chainey (both born in 1864 in Bradford Abbas) but I can't find any other details for Mary or her two daughters

How can I confirm if this is the same Alfred Chainey and what happened to Mary? Where were they married?

I've had a look in the new IGI website: there's another Alfred Chainey born 1869 in Bradford Abbas, son of Dinah Chainey. Although the birth dates are slightly different, do you think this Alfred could be the one married to (or living with) Mary? I can't find an Alfred Chainey married to a Mary in the marriage indexes. There seem to have been a lot of Alfred Chaineys born in Dorset, don't there? I thought such an unusual name would be easy to track down, but I was wrong again! :0)
    Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Hi Sal, I think that that Alfred Chainey sadly died in 1970. There are a lot of Chaineys in Dorset and Bradford Abbas to work my way through. It is tricky to work out who were siblings and who were cousins. Thank you for looking though

Comment

Hi Jaygee, OH's tree has a number of Chaineys from Dorset, but as yet no Alfred. Have you looked under other spelling - they used Cheney and Cheyney quite frequently, and seemed to like swapping them throught the generations.

Linda
        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hi, been looking at this a bit more - it very much looks like the same Alfred, too much in common. Looking at the childrens names, even though the ages are a couple of years off, Kate could well be the same person, and looking on freeBMD, the only birth I could see to fit for Lily would be Louise Linda V Chainey b.1898 - maybe Lily was a nickname. Also it would appear the Ethel b. 1900 died in 1901 (registered under Cheney), and with the elder girls probably moved out, that would be why only two left at home. Mary is a mystery tho - like Sal, I think they were probably just living together but put the details of the previous marriage.

Linda
          Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Hi
            Although his wife is listed as Mary, could the Alfred Chainey marrying in Sep 1904 in Salisbury possibly be your man? There's not a lot of other Chainey activity here and it is a year after Annie's death.
            Vol 5a Page 351 -
            Walter George Marlow has married Bessie Ada Beaven, they are together in the 1911 census (and there is a Marlow-Beaven birth in 1912)
            Which leaves Elizabeth Dinah White.
            1901 an Elizabeth D White, 37, servant, b Wilts Swallowcliffe, a cook, in Marlow, Buckinghamshire, so she’s the same age and same birthplace as Mary Chainey in 1911. And can’t see Elizabeth in 1911.
            If it is her and she didn‘t have children, then as Linda said it could be that Kate and Lily are Alfred’s and Annie’s and maybe they are are a family that like chopping and changing their names, and giving themselves pet ones.
            There is a Maud Chaney in New Sarum, Salisbury in 1911, 17, a servant and a much later marriage for Kate E K Chainey in 1934, so they ought to be around.
            Jon

Comment

Thank you all very much for your help. Lots for me to look at. I think it would be a lot easier to search for people if they had put their birth name on each census rather than the name they were known by (middle names or pet names).

I's the first post I have made and I've been amazed at your replies so Thank you again

Comment

I am interested in Alfred Chainey's daughter Louisa Linda Violet Chainey born 1898. Louisa had a daughter Lucille ( Lucy) Priscilla Chainey born 7th May 1921 ( No father named on birth certificate which I have ). Lucille married my father in June 1940 Portsmouth, Hants. She was killed by a direct hit on a Air raid shelter Jan 10th 1941 aged 19 while my Dad was at sea. Although Lucille was listed as one of the dead there is no grave that bear her name. Years ago when I was starting work I was asked to bring in my birth certificate to verify my details. I noticed that next to my mothers name was a formerly as well as a nee. So I asked my father ? He explained that his first wife was killed in the war and my Mothers first husband was killed as well. I never spoke to my Father regarding this again and I have never spoken to my Mother who is still alive aged 90 regarding this. I recently decided to research my roots and found a lot of information.
                Last edited by hackney51; 02-08-12, 06:22.

Comment

Working...
                X