Ancestry and Scotland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ancestry and Scotland

Although there have been statutary birth/marriage/death certificates in Scotland since 1855, I cannot find any reference to them on the Ancestry site. I want to find some birth and death certificates for the period 1880 to 1910, but neither the ancestry site nor Scotlands people site come up with anything for the people I wish to find. For instance I want to find a death certificate for my Gt.Gt.Grandmother who died in Dumfriesshire in 1902. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong.

Hi,
    Most of mine are Scottish - if you give me some details I would be happy to help, if I can. Fresh eyes can sometimes help although some people just can't be found as I know too well.
    herky
    Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

You are looking in the right place, i.e Scotlands People, not Ancestry. Have you tried variant spellings? She may have been misindexed by a clerk.

Comment

Thanks for your offer of hlp herky. The two people I am particularly interested in are:- Jane Mundell, who was born in Lochmaben in 1824. She married Andrew Skilling in Cummertrees in 1848. In the 1901 census Jane is shown as living in Dumfries Low Road in Cummertrees. She died (according to information I have learned from other sources) in 1902; the second person is Jane Latimer, (sometimes spelt Lattimer). She was born around 1797-1799 in Dornock, Dumfriesshire. She married Andrew Skilling and had 10 children with him, the last of which was born in 1846. (the hughwallisbatch site shows that she married Andrew Skilling in 1845, but I find this unbelievable).The 1861 census shows her as being 62, which means her birth year would be 1799. She died 5th November 1890 (information obtained from other family trees). I would imagine she died in Cummertrees, but cannot be certain. Any help you can give me will be very much appreciated.

Comment

Hi ,
          I am having a quick look before I go to work but will look more carefully later.
          one thought - although Jane Mundell's death should be indexed by both maiden name and married name - is it possible that Jane remarried and is indexed by maiden name and new husband's married name.
          I have a few who have no mention of a first husband on a death cert........off to see what I can find....

No, but have found Jane's death - she died as follows and I will PM you with more after work.
          JANE SKILLING - died 20 Dec 1902 at 8.45 pm in Cummertees Village. GROS 817/00 0019
          Listed as the widow of Andrew SKillings, Woodman, and Jane is listed as illegitimate.Cause of death was gastric catarrh 1 day and senile decay and the informant was her son Robert Skilling who was present. Parents - no father and mother was Jane Johnstone deceased. I know the maiden name is not Mundell but this could be because of the illegitimacy issue.
          Let me know what you think and if i am on the correct lines.
          By the way the index page lists an Andrew Skilling's death as - 1889, GROS 817/00 0009
          Jane Latimer - did you have probs finding this death as it is in the index as GROS 817/00 0019, ages 92 years - Cummertrees. 1890 as you said.
          I always give a huge margin for age at death - some of mine have been as much as 12 years out on official docs!!
          Last edited by herky; 22-07-10, 06:55.
          herky
          Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thank you for finding out about Jane Skilling (Mundell) I am sure it is the right entry, as I have info showing that Andrew Skilling died in 1889. As I am a bit thick as far as the Index is concerned, can you explain why the Index number for Jane Latimer is the same as that for Jane Skilling, even though their deaths are 12 years apart. Thanks again for your help

Comment

Quick reply before work.
              If you have a look on Scotlands people it will explain but here is the gist - the 1st part of the number is for the registration district (town.village etc) so Cummertrees must be 817.
              The next part is the registration district suffix but this would only be present in larger areas.
              The last part is the registration number.
              It is pure coincidence that the numbers are the same - the entries would be in different year books. So if you went to Edinburgh GROS or the local reg office the entries would be in separate books.

As soon as I have time I will PM with my info.
              Best wishes and good luck.
              herky

Comment

Working...
              X