I'm glad I've got the certs, but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm glad I've got the certs, but...

I can't help feeling slightly peeved that I've just spent £40 on birth certs to prove (definitvely) four mother's maiden names that I was frankly 95% certain about anyway! Ah well, at least I *have* proof - two of them disprove every other tree on ancestry for those particular women!

But it just seems sooo costly,

Kate x

Kate

Many years ago when certs were £3.15shillings (I think), I didn't bother getting one because I was 100% sure and it seemed a waste of money.

But not as big a waste as I then incurred by chasing the WRONG family back for 200 years - a waste of time, shoe leather visiting records offices and churches, effort, enthusiasm etc. To cap it all, by the time I did get the cert (and discovered my BIIIIIGGGG mistake) the cost of certs had gone up and £3.15s seemed like a bargain!

OC

Comment

I know, it's churlish to complain, given that many countries don't even have access to such things, and I must admit I do get a a not-so-subtle feeling of schadenfreude when I see the other trees now! I have left a note for the owners explaining my findings though, up to them what they do with it. And you're right, I've been very lucky on the duds front too, only two wrong certs so far (death ones, always the hardest to get first time I think). Mind, if I ever win the lottery or get an inheritance I'd certainly spend a large proportion of it on proving every connection I could

Comment

Agree with all that has ben said. Now, I have spent money on four death certificates for my great grandmother and even at £7 a time seemed a lot of money at £28 wasted!! However, I have whittled the list down to about 6 more to go, and not sure which one to plump for this time, but more cautious now at £9 plus! I bet whichever one I choose, it will probably be the sixth one before I can say "gotcha"! The certificates are worth their weight in gold, believe me. I now save cousins some money as they use me and do not have to buy certs!!

Janet

Comment

I, too, have left notes on Ancestry Trees explaining the proof I have that the tree is wrong. I have no evidence that anyone has even looked, let alone done anyhting about it.

To be fair I also thought they might be right but I did then get the proof. It involved a visit to a far distant Record Office and cost a LOT, LOT more than the cost of 4 certificates even at todays prices. If I ever think (of certificates and Ancestry prices) that they are too expensive I add up how much it would cost to actually go to find the info - bearing in mind that Carlisle is so far from anywhere my family came from and it would need at least one overnight stay!

Anne

Comment

Working...
          X