Problem with charging lap top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with charging lap top

A couple of days ago the light, which usually comes on when I plug in the power cable, stopped working. So I've been checking that it is actually charging from an icon on the bottom tool bar, and have found that this is intermittent. It sometimes says 'plugged in not charging' and other times 'plugged in charging'.

Is there a problem with the battery or the power cable or the power unit (I presume) inside the lap top... or all three!!

Please help!! :D

I had a similar situation with my laptop. It would charge sometimes and not at other times. When I took it to a local computer shop they checked it out for me and it was the pin that goes into the laptop that was faulty so I had to buy another cable for £40.

If you can, take it to an independent computer shop, as they'll check it out free of charge and don't go to PC world!
    Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

Thanks for that Elaine, I think I'll give that a try

It's still under guarantee (bought from Tesco Direct), but I'm reluctant to send it off to where ever to be fixed in case it's damaged in transit.

Comment

Most times this is caused by a damaged charger cable where it connects to the plug that goes into your laptop.

If this is the case, before paying out for a new supply, go your local electrical parts retailer (I use Maplins), they have these plugs for only £1.99.
        Just cut off the old one and solder on the new, or ask them if they could do it for you.

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

That sounds a bit too technical for me Trevor!! ;)

I just checked to see if the light's on and it is (!) but then turned the plug and it went off, so it must be the cable.

Comment

These plugs are so easily damaged, because we use laptops with them plugged in and 'yank' the cable as we move around.
            You may find that Tescos will say you damaged it when you claim under warrenty

Researching:
            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Rachel,

Go with the warranty, you have paid for it.....
              https://squeakerslair.wordpress.com

Comment

I really can't be bothered with all the hassle, and as Trevor says they would probably blame me for the wear and tear. I see that you can buy them direct on the HP site

Comment

I've got an HP laptop too and when I called them about a new cable they wanted £40 plus postage and it was going to take a few days to be delivered. Popped down to a local independent shop and bought one there and then for the same price.
                  Looking for: Bassick/Beswick in Lancashire, Wolverhampton, Durham - Bradshaw & Drage in Bozeat & London - Rainbow, Strange, Maginess, Northcote, Thompson, Bartlett & Wheeler in London - Harrington, Gusterson & Sach in Essex

Comment

I hope it is just the cable - when KT had the same problem with her HP laptop, it was the connection on the actual motherboard that was the problem ... it meant having to have a new motherboard, so it was cheaper in the long run to get a new laptop - and far quicker as she was on the deadline to get some uni stuff finished and handed in.
                    Caroline
                    Caroline's Family History Pages
                    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Originally posted by Velma Dinkley View Post
                      I really can't be bothered with all the hassle, and as Trevor says they would probably blame me for the wear and tear. I see that you can buy them direct on the HP site
                      If the fault is due to wear and tear then they have sold you a product that is not fit for purpose... They have to prove that you have damaged it, it is not down to you to prove that you haven't... Why should you spend money on something that may not resolve the problem when the warranty is there to cover that !!

Comment

hp are brill if under warranty i had probs for 3rd time with laptop charging this time i rung direct to them and not through comet and they sent another charger out without sending laptop in and promised if it was inside pin in machine they would repair after i had checked new charger. pm me if u want direct number but not about till after dinner today

Comment

Thanks for your advice debs

I've rang them today and they're sending me a new power cable - hopefully this will resolve the problem, without having to send the lap top away

Comment

I wish Dell and Acer were as helpful.
                            I keep having to replace the damage power jack plug on my leads

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                              I wish Dell and Acer were as helpful.
                              I keep having to replace the damage power jack plug on my leads
                              Maybe if you didn't mistreat them in the way you hinted at in your earlier post they may not get damaged ;) It is exactly because of this that manufacturers have started taking a harder stance regarding 'plug damage'.. There is a difference between a plug failing when it is being used correctly, and when it is being exposed to forces outside of it's design parameters

Comment

Working...
                              X