Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help needed with Burslem Staffordshire for John James Shufflebottom or Shufflebotham

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with Burslem Staffordshire for John James Shufflebottom or Shufflebotham

My great great grandfather, John James Shufflebottom, was born in Burslem Staffordshire, abt 1810. We have been told his parents were William and Ann, we do not know her maiden name. we have no confirmation, but have been told John was baptised in a church in Burslem in 1810, we have had no luck finding a record of his birth nor confirmation that William and Ann are indeed his parent as it seems that the name Shufflebottom or Shufflebotham were common in that area. We have been told that on the record of his arrival in Australia as a convict in 1829 that he was first sentenced to the "treadmill" then later for the offence of street robbery at the Derby Assizes which resulted in his transportation. He married Ellen nee Butler in 1841 and we have been helped with information about her, but would love to have more info on him, for example, confirmation of his date of birth, his parents names and maiden name of his mother, perhaps the reason he was sentenced to treadmill, some details of his street robbery offence, and are not sure if details like those are available anywhere, and we have no idea of where to look, can anybody point us in the direction of where we may find such information, we would appreciate any help given.

There is a baptism on the IGI which seems to fit the bill:

JOHN SHUFFLEBOTTOM
    Male

Event(s):
    Birth:
    Christening: 29 JUL 1810 Burslem, Stafford, England

Parents:
    Father: WILLIAM SHUFFLEBOTTOM
    Mother: ANN

This is an extracted record, taken from the parish registers of St. John's parish church, Burslem, Staffordshire.

There may be a bit more information in the register, such as the parents' abode, but the mother's maiden name isn't usually given.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-07-10, 23:52.

Comment

The same baptism has been transcribed by FreeReg, and shows the parents' abode as Tunstall, which is only a mile or two from Burslem:

Ancestry® helps you understand your genealogy. A family tree takes you back generations—the world's largest collection of online family history records makes it easy to trace your lineage.

Comment

The criminal registers on Ancestry show that a John Shufflebotham was sentenced to transportation for life at Derbyshire Lent Assizes in 1829 for assault with intent to rob. There's no other information in the register.

Can't see anything about the case in the local newspapers.
        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-07-10, 23:19.

Comment

The convict records on Ancestry show that he was convicted at Derby Assizes on 24/3/1829 and transported on 5/8/1829 to ASW (presumably a typo for NSW) on the Morley:

The John Shufflebotham transported on the Morley is on the list of convict pardons in NSW in 1834-8 and 1842-5. I assume the first one was a ticket of leave, but it isn't specified.

He's listed in the SAG NSW tickets of leave database, which shows his occupation as "groom", and indicates that he got his ticket of leave in 1837.

His ticket of leave and pardon are also listed in the NSW State Archives database, which shows that he was granted a conditional pardon on 1/7/1841:

You can order the ticket of leave and pardon from the State Archives; they aren't very expensive, but I don't know how much information they contain.

Unfortunately there's nothing in any of these documents to say where he came from or who his parents were. Do you have his mariage or death cert, and are his parents named?

Tasmania has put its convict records online, and they're very detailed, usually containing birthplace and parents' names, so I wonder if something similar is available at the NSW archives in Sydney, even if they're not online yet?
          Last edited by Mary from Italy; 17-07-10, 23:43.

Comment

I've just checked out his marriage on the NSW online index, and it gives his name as "Shufflebotham James or John". His wife is named as Emma Butler, and they were married at St Thomas (Co. Ayr), Port Macquarie.

The Registry was formed in 1856 to register life events in New South Wales accurately and securely for all time, ensuring their integrity and confidentiality. All our over the counter services are available at Service NSW centres.

The marriage cert hopefully specifies whether his name was actually James or John - or maybe one of them was an alias.
            Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-07-10, 01:01.

Comment

By the way, you'll find a guide to Australian research here:

and some more Australian resources here:

For English research, this is a good starting point:

Comment

Just found another convict record on Ancestry; a Jas. Shufflebottom, aged 28, transported on the Morley in 1829, is listed in the 1837 general muster. He was assigned to work for AC James in Port McQuarie (which matches the location given in the SAG database).

The only Shufflebotham (with any spelling) transported on the Morley in 1829 was John, so John and James are evidently the same person. If he was 28 in 1837, he would have been born about 1809.

Comment

I see a James Shufflebottom aged 47 died in Armidale in 1857 - is that your man? If so, there was apparently an inquest:

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-07-10, 00:35.

Comment

I've found 3 articles about the case in the Derby Mercury. He was convicted with John Hawley of feloniously assaulting John Webster. There's a description of the offence and a few other bits. His surname doesn't seem to come up on the searches for some reason. I've saved down the reports so if you would like them, could you PM me your email address please.
                    Jackie

Comment

Ah, well done - I missed those. I think John Hawley was transported on the same ship - I seem to remember seeing his name.

Comment

I see one of the articles says John Shufflebotham was 18, which is a reasonably good fit with an 1810 baptism. Sturston, where the assault happened, is about 25 miles from Burslem, though.
                        Last edited by Mary from Italy; 18-07-10, 01:25.

Comment

Thank you Mary from Italy and Nightowl. We do have a Marriage Certificate for John James Shufflebottom and Ellen nee Butler, but it is a copy from the Church Register, not an official one from BDS, and it shows him as TofL (ticket of leave) and her as Free. We recently were given informaiton, on this site, of the ship on which she came from England and were able to get (from a member of this forum but on another site) where to find the passenger list that showed she could read, yet on the marriage cert from the church she made her mark with an X as did John James. We are joined by many other members of the family, as John and Ellen had 10 children, and they all had big families, in searching for stuff, and lately we seem to be getting so much info since joining this site, courtesy of you kind people who are so willing to help and we thank you so much, we cant thank you enough and hope that one day we will be able to help other people, if we ever develop the skills and knowledge to do so. I will send a PM to Night Owl re the reports and articles about his conviction, thanks again.

Comment

Lila, where did the information about John being born in Burslem come from?

Comment

Hi

Newspaper articles now emailed
                              Jackie

Comment

More about John here (click on his name for full details):

It very helpfully confirms that he came from Staffordshire.

Comment

Hullo to Mary from Italy and Night Owl in particular, you have helped us so much, and we then sent the info you gave us to other family members who are doing research on our common family tree, and they appreciated the help as well, then a cousin sent us a message that told us he was told by another family member, but has not been able to confirm it himself, that John James parents were William and Ann maiden name Keeling and seems he may have had a twin sister , Anne who died as a child ..If it is the correct John his parents are William Schufflebotham and Anne Keeling , who both originated in Stoke upon Trent ,( which is quite near Burslem apparently) and they married at Stoke 20 Aug 1794 ..he also said that there may have been 6 children to William and Anne, older 3 children bapt at Stoke and younger children bapt at Burslem daughters Angelica 1799 , Henry 1802 , Ann 1805-1805 ,(all Stoke) Ann 1810-1810 , John 1810 , Anne 1812.(all Burslem)
                                  Are you able to tell us if this info is checkable, and where we should look for confirmation of things like this, details would be great, and if we can confirm this we would have the whole family, even though we may never know what happened to them after John James came to Australia for his long "holiday" at the govt expense, and started this family with his wife Ellen nee Butler that now fills about 350 x A4 pages as their 10 children each had families of 10 or more who each had families of about 10, then the later generations seemed to have 3 or 4 who have all had 3 or 4 and on the rare occasion 5, hence the large number enough to fill a showground (or a football stadium) if they ever got together.

Comment

Help needed with Burslem Staffordshire for John James Shufflebottom or Shufflebothan

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                                    Lila, where did the information about John being born in Burslem come from?
                                    I think because we were told by another family member, who had apparently also been told by a different family member that he was baptised in Burslem, we made an assumption that he was likely born in the village, we just wish that when family members give us info that they would tell us some authoratative source for the info. anything we get, like a image of a birth rego, or the sort of stuff you have given us, when we pass it on and there is a website that the info came from, we tell the other family members the source and give them the link, so they can check it for themselves, to avoid just hearsay evidence, but they dont all do the same to us, they give us stuff, but no source, and it is so frustrating, hence our queries on this site, we need help as we can find sources for lots of the stuff we are given and learned years ago not to just trust the info given must be correct because of who told us, enough waffle, the stuff we have got from you is first class, because you tell us where it came from and we can, in most cases go look at it ourselves, and that is really good.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLila View Post
                                      .If it is the correct John his parents are William Schufflebotham and Anne Keeling , who both originated in Stoke upon Trent ,( which is quite near Burslem apparently)
                                      For background info, the City of Stoke on Trent is a conurbation of six towns, one of which is Burslem, so Burslem is in fact in Stoke on Trent. And just to confuse matters a little, one of the other towns that make up the city is called Stoke upon Trent, usually just known as Stoke. To this day, each of the towns (Burslem, Tunstall, Hanley, Stoke, Fenton and Longton) retain a distinct identity and character. A fantastic site for information on the Six Towns is www.thepotteries.org - it's an amazing collection of information which gives an impressive account of the history and development of the area.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleLila View Post
                                        I think because we were told by another family member, who had apparently also been told by a different family member that he was baptised in Burslem, we made an assumption that he was likely born in the village
                                        Hmm, that's a pity. It would have been nice to have some definite information to connect him with Burslem. Unless it's given as his birthplace in his marriage or death cert, or some other reasonably reliable document, I suspect one of your family has just looked at the possible baptisms and marriages on the familysearch site (IGI) and picked the ones that looked most likely. That's a very risky procedure, firstly because a lot of the entries on that site are "submitted" entries (provided by members of the Mormon church, and not always reliable), and secondly because it doesn't contain all English baptisms by any means.

Do you have his death cert, and are his birthplace and parents' names given? I assume they aren't given in the marriage cert. Alternatively, his birthplace should be given on his children's birth certificates. This information probably won't appear on old church certificates, but it should appear in certificates of children born from 1856 onwards, when civil registration began.

The only one I can see who fits the bill is James, born in Armidale in 1856. Might be worth getting his birth cert to see if you can get some more concrete information. It'll cost about $18 from an authorised transcription agent.

Comment

Working...
                                        X