James Buchanan missing from census

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Buchanan missing from census

The only definite record I have of James Buchanan is on the 1881 census. He is living in York with wife Mary and grandson Henry Albert. (RG11/4724 p17). His place of birth is given as Africa.

His daughter Ellen (b. abt 1837, Manchester) was the mother of Henry Albert. I have the Albert family pretty much covered from 1861 onwards. What I'm really looking for is more info about James Buchanan.

Another researcher has sent me a possible for 1851. James is living in Leeds with wife Catherine. His place of birth given as Antigua. (HO 107/2320 p21)

Catherine Buchanan died in 1871 but I can't find them on 1861.

Can anyone help. I have searched and searched and there is another person researching this family but neither of us has been successful. Only the 1881 record is definitely my man can anyone find him on another census or rule in or out the man on the 1851?

There is a christening record for Ellen on Ancestry 19/06/1836 Ormskirk, Lancashre. Father James, mother Elizabeth. Could this be your Ellen?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules.

I was quite hopeful about that baptism but I think it refers to another Ellen Buchanan whose family consistently turn up in Skemsdale with father James Buchanan as a wheelwright.

Comment

Hmm shame about that. Still trying to find James on the census'. Ellen is easy to spot, as is her marriage etc. But James is definately in the shadows. Will keep looking.
        Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Originally posted by SussexPat View Post
          Catherine Buchanan died in 1871 but I can't find them on 1861.
          Do you have Catherine's death Certificate. The family may be living at the same address on the 1871 census.
          Tippin
          Last edited by Tippin; 16-07-10, 15:44.
          Families Intrested in
          Archer (DBY), Bannister (SFK/STS), Br(o/a)mley (DBY), Darrall (SAL/WAR), Florence (STS), Freeman (WAR), Grimsdell (BKM/STS), Knight (WAR), Sheldrake (SKF), Simpson (LND/STS), Smith (SFK/WAR/WOR), Tatham (LND), Tippin(s) (HEF/WAR), Wagstaff (DBY/NTT), Whitefoot (SAL/WAR)

Comment

I don't have Catherine's death cert. For one thing I only found the reference today but I have a long list of certs I'd like for this family. I've traced them forward to the 1930s. At the moment I'm concentrating on what I can get from the census as my Ancestry sub runs out in 3 days! I will have another months sub later on once I've assessed what I've got so far.

I have this record for Ellen Buchanan in 1841 when she was 4 years old with her mother Elizabeth, I think and a younger sibling.( HO 107/574/12 p16) The names have all been shortened and the mother was transcribed as Ely but I'm pretty sure it says Eliz. The younger child looks like John but the age is in the female column. The mothers occupation is given as Hawker which ties in with the family occupations in later census and they are living in Manchester which is consistently given as Ellen's birthplace. No sign of James anywhere near by or of the mother Elizabeth in subsequent census.

Anyway thanks everyone who is trying to help.

Comment

Working...
            X