Mary Ellen Alma Shemilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Ellen Alma Shemilt

I'm looking for Mary Ellen Alma Shemilt born circa 1870. On her marriage certificate she claims that her father was Thomas a farmer. She did not say that he was deceased, she married from an address of convenience in Manchester. Her husband John Shelmerdine gave his addresss as on the same road as her but differant addresses. it has been suggested that she was not born as a Shemilt but photographs of various members of the family indicate that she was indeed a Shemilt. Can anyone help me find this lady, she gives her place on birth on the 1901/1911 census as Wolverhampton, she married John in September 1891 art St. Marks Gorton. Manchester. Any help with the Shemilt/Shelmerdine family would be helpful

Thanking you in anticipation

Christine

in 1881
    there is a Mary E Shemilt born abt 1869 in Ipstones Staffs
    Father James a Butcher & Farmer born 1839 same place
    living in Foxt Checkley Staffs

Comment

The same family that Val has found appears on the 1871 census on Ancestry transcribed as Shemelt.
      Mary is shown as being born c1869 in Checkley, Staffs - although father is James and not Thomas as per the MC you have.
      The corresponding birth registration for this one is:
      Mary Shemilt
      1870 Apr-May-Jun
      Cheadle - vol 6b, page 332
      Elaine

Comment

I have several instances in my tree where James and Thomas have been confused. If you write both names out in copperplate you will see that the outlines are very similar.

OC

Comment

I've checked the Wolverhampton parish records, and she wasn't baptised there:

so the birth Val and Elaine found is looking good.

Comment

There is a large Shemilt family from Milwich in Staffordshire - I keep coming across them as I research my Horobins in the same village - in fact the churchyard is full of them! A number of families from Checkley seem to have migrated to Milwich in the early 1800's including my ancestors. It may give you another area to look at.
            Helen
            Helen
            Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

Just had a quick look on Ancestry and there is a birth for a Mary Ellen Shemilt in Stone 1873 which would be the registration district for Milwich. There is also a private tree on Ancestry containing a Mary Ellen Alma Shemilt born 1873 in Milwich. In 1881 she is in Trentham with her mother Martha Anne who is married and gives an occupation of farmers wife - no husband on the sheet.

On Ancestry there is also a marriage in Stone for a William David Shemilt to a Martha Ann Shemilt in the last quarter of 1864.
              Last edited by Helen Henderson; 16-07-10, 12:39. Reason: additional info
              Helen
              Support the S.O.P.H.I.E. campaign, Stamp Out Predudice Hatred + Intolerance Everywhere.

Visit the website at http://www.sophielancasterfoundation.com/index1.html

http://www.illamasqua.com/about/sophie/

Comment

mary ellen alma shemilt

Thank you to all that have replied, unfortunately I have checked all of these out and none are correct. The one at trentham was the nearest however she married the same year as my Mary Ellen and I have traclked her marriage, she married a man called brown and went on to have a family, so that took her out of the picture.
                Thanking you all

Christine

Comment

Working...
                X