Who is this ? !!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is this ? !!!!

I know that it is a longshot but here goes.

My husbands grandmother passed away a couple of years ago at the ripe old age of 98. Her mother Martha Ann Woodroffe, was married to a chap called Henry Forster (1885 - 1913), they had one child, her. After Henry's demise Martha Ann remarried a man called George Ironside (1899 - ?) and they had three children.

We were tasked with sorting through her possessions, and among her bits I found this photograph, well a piece of it, and I have NO idea who it is.

The only remaining family are her two sons, both of whom live abroad, but I have mailed them to ask their thought, but one thinks the picture is of Henry Forster and the other thinks it is George Ironside.

If anyone can help itentify him or even rule someone out bearing in mind Henry's death in 1913 that would be great.

I appreciate that it is a long shot, but I know from experience that stranger things have happened.....

(Hope this works)

Last edited by humbug; 26-07-10, 11:38.
    Names I am researching
    GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, WARD, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Wilts, Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

I'm no expert on dating, but could you narrow it down at all? The little you can see of the woman's clothes on the right looks Edwardian to me, which might suggest it's more likely to be Henry, going by his age. Not sure about the date of the man's waistcoat but the buttons come quite high - is that dateable?

Or is there a family resemblance to anyone - looks like his ears and jaw are quite distinctive!

Sorry I can't be of more help!
    Last edited by Lindsay; 18-07-10, 12:48.

Comment

I'd say if it's one of the two men mentioned it would be Henry, who died in 1913. George would have been too young at the time/period this photo was taken. Henry would have been 28 when he died - very young!

This chap looks between 25 - 35 - so may not even be Henry? But certainly I agree the lady's sleeve looks Edwardian.
      Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Are you able to read the name/address of the Photographer ?
        It does look as if there might be something at the bottom but it's not possible to tell when enlarged.

If there's anything at all on the back, maybe you could scan that too ?

For instance, if it's a postcard, then there may be a clue re date.
        If we could find the photographer then that could also help with the date
        ~ FOR PHOTO RESTORATIONS PLEASE SCAN AT A RESOLUTION OF 300-600 WITH THE SCALE AT 100% MINIMUM ~ http://restoreandcolour.brainwaving.co.uk

Comment

Hi

Thankyou for all your help.

There are no identifying marks at the bottom or on the reverse. The only thing I can say, is that it looks like a sepia photograph which is then sort of painted over if you see what I mean?

I have also found out that George Ironside was born in 1987 and not 1899 as first thought.

It has been suggested that the photo was taken around 1905 or so.
          Names I am researching
          GARNETT, ALMACK, WHITAKER, WARD, ARCHER - Skipton, Yorks HIBBERT, SHUTTLEWORTH, HAYTHORNWHITE, HITCHEN, MARSDEN Lancashire EMERY Manchester WALTON Northants and Sunderland PARROTT Northants GREENWOOD, Lancs and Yorks SUNDERLAND, TODD, KEIGHLEY, SNOWDEN, TURNER Yorkshire WOODROFFE Wilts, Leics and North East CROSSLEY, COATES, FORSTER, WRIGHT, LAVERICK, CUNNINGHAM Sunderland / North East BISSETT Scotland and Sunderland

Comment

That would make George about 18 then - just possible, but still I think more likely to be Henry.

he appears to be sitting on the window seat of quite asubstantial window - in a large house - either in your family or somewhere he may have visited. Do any of those factors appear in your records?
            Last edited by Dubonnet lady; 26-07-10, 13:16.
            Dorothy G

searching Gillett (Preston/Sheffield). Campbell and Hepburn in Glasgow

There's no such thing as a Free Lunch

Comment

Working...
            X