Simpson / Nicholls/ Ridgwell family

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simpson / Nicholls/ Ridgwell family

Hi my name is adele and i am attempting to research my family tree.
    Simpson family is around Shoreditch/bethnal green area in london
    Nicholls is Buckinghamshire/Oxan way
    and Ridgewell is all over the place.

Anything anyone has would be wonderful.

Anyone have ideas how i can find out how or what someone died of apart from buying a certificate.
    Richard Odey Simpson died in Dec 1901 age 29. Lived in Hackney, London area. How can i find this out???? eeeek ideas please.
    also is there such a computer program that you can add all your family members like brothers sister, cousins etc etc so when you print it it gives you everyone you put in so you can see your entire family. thank you so much - adele

Dates would help, as well as first names. Simpson and Nicholls are relatively common names.

To find out what someone died of you generally need their death cert, though some burial registers give cause of death. Getting a death cert is often easier than finding out where someone was buried though!

There are lots of computer programmes that do family history and allow you to print pedigree charts, individual sheets etc. You can download PAF [Personal Ancestral File] free from www.familysearch.org or you can buy software from WH Smiths or online. Family Tree Maker, Family Historian are two popular programmes. You can probably find a trial version online if you google.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Welcome to FTF.

I have a clump of Ridgewells with an e in the middle around Saffron Walden in Essex. To add to what Nell has said, you need to work your way back methodically, so you don't accidentally pick on the wrong family. There's a re-run of "Heir Hunters" on BBC1 at the moment - worth watching to see how they do it.
      Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

Originally posted by uncle john View Post
        welcome to ftf.

I have a clump of ridgewells with an e in the middle around saffron walden in essex. To add to what nell has said, you need to work your way back methodically, so you don't accidentally pick on the wrong family. There's a re-run of "heir hunters" on bbc1 at the moment - worth watching to see how they do it.
        hi uncle john, thanks for your message. I have been water heir hunters - its brilliant - so interesting. What names have you in your 'clump'. My ridgwells are that area. Some first names are adelaide, jabez, zachariah, james. There are loads!! They eventually ended up in bucks area so if you have any thing that may match up let me know. Thanks again. Adele

Comment

George Ridgewell (b. about 1836) married Ellen Ketteridge (b. about 1847) in Saffron Walden in 1865. Children were Henry, Mary, Julia, Joshua, Louise and Lavender. Lavender married a brother of my wife's great-grandmother. That line ended up in the Uxbridge area. Most of the rest seemed to stay in Essex. Joshua moved to York but died in his early 20's.

Comment

hello again. thank you for your message. only just picked it up after a long break ( to long) from the family tree research. Hopefully will be picking it up again and finding out more exciting things. Thats very interesting about Lavender uncle john. I have a copy of a census where lavendar is listed as living with her grandparents at a young age. I thinks its the Radwinter census but will dig it out and have a look. xx

Comment

I've got Lavender in every census from 1881 to 1911. But her father George is a puzzle in 1911. He's still in Saffron Walden but with two sons Albert and Thomas that don't seem to belong. He died in 1916 in St. Albans, where his daughter Julia was living.

Comment

Originally posted by uncle john View Post
                i've got lavender in every census from 1881 to 1911. But her father george is a puzzle in 1911. He's still in saffron walden but with two sons albert and thomas that don't seem to belong. He died in 1916 in st. Albans, where his daughter julia was living.
                thats interesting. Thanks. I havent got any further back on the ridgewell side than jabaz ridgewell who married sarah whipps. How far have you gone back.?? X

Comment

Must be a different branch of the Ridg(e)well clan. I don't have Jabez and Sarah in my tree.

Comment

Working...
                  X