Ambrose Stokes 1851 census help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ambrose Stokes 1851 census help

Hi I posted a thread yesterday but unfortunately it was deleted as part of the technical issues so here is my second attempt.

Basically I am trying to find an ancestor in the 1851 census but have been searching for months and cannot find him or any of his family in 1851

His name is Ambrose Stokes and he was born on 21/11/1845 in Brentford. His parents were named Samuel Stokes (occupation waterman) and Sarah Nixon.

In 1841 his parents were living in Ealing along with Sarah's parents James and Susan Nixon. There were also Ambrose's siblings Lucy age 3, Wiliam age 2 and one other child with no name. In 1861 Ambrose is aboard HMS Icarus in Plymouth aged 15 and listed as boatboy. I also have Ambrose on the 1871 and 1881 censuses and his death certificate which confirms he died on 21/4/1887. I also know that Ambrose married an Ann Hubbuck on 8/2/1869 in Brentford.

I know that Ambrose only had one living sibling in 1851 - Susan/Susannah who was born in Ealing on 25/1/1849. Lucy died on 26/10/1842, William died on 19/10/1842 and Samuel on 5/2/1842. Ellen and Sarah were born on 9/10/1853 in Ealing which is only a short time after the 1851 census.

As Ambrose's father was a waterman I thought that maybe he moved around but I would have thought that I might have found some of the family in 1851. I have tried all different types of combinations eg parents together, parents with different children etc but to no avail.

I know that Ambrose also became a waterman and was bound on 12/6/1866 and that his father was bound on 13/8/1829 so I have found out as much as I think I can apart from the 1851 census. I cannot go any further back for the family as it would be too early - Samuel was born around 1812.

Basically can anyone help with Ambrose - it isn't a common name but just simply can't find them

Thanks

Steven

I can't see any of them either, including Sarah's parents! What is the dob of Samuel and Sarah?
    Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

Thanks Jules I think Samuel was born around 1812 and Sarah around 1813 according to the IGI but on the 1841 census Samuel is down as age 25 and Sarah age 25

Steven
      Last edited by stevie2006; 15-07-10, 16:30.

Comment

Working...
      X