Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robert Peel connection to Catlow family

Hello all

There has been people on Ancestry, Rootsweb and other sites trying to make the connection of Sir Robert Peel to the Catlow family. Now my ancestors are the Catlow family from Colne Lancashire and it appears that this is the family in which he connects to.
    I have come across this little bit of information whilst googling away
    "Harvey Hoover, the father of our subject, was born in 1833, and received his education in the schools of Union township, Centre county. In early manhood he engaged in lumbering, but for some years he has followed agricultural pursuits. He married Miss Mary Catlow, a grandniece of Sir Robert Peel"

and also this
    "Mr. Hoover's mother was a daughter of the late Richard Catlow, nephew of Sir Robert Peel"

If anybody can help locate the actual marriage or connection I would be very greatful;D

Danny
    Last edited by quiffdo; 14-07-10, 15:50.
    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=528974734

It would appear my colour red message has not quite panned out properly for the first bit of information so it's easier to read.

Danny

Comment

Im no sure if the Hoover family live in America or whether Robert Peel's sister (by the looks of it) married a Catlow in England.

Danny

Comment

Sorted out the red bits in the first post Danny - hope I've highlighted the correct sections.
        Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine, much appreciated.

Danny

Comment

I presume you have the biography from where the above extracts have been taken - if not it's here

Appears to be a Pennsylvanian family.

It says that Mary Catlow's father was Richard, and I can see a Richard Catlow in the US 1850 census

Richard Catlow 51 - born England - occ Farmer
            Mary Catlow 43 - born England
            David Catlow 19 - born England
            Mary Catlow 14
            Sarah A Catlow 12
            Martha Catlow 9
            William R Catlow 7

living in Huston, Centre, Pennsylvania

... so I would imagine you need to look for a marriage in Pennsylvania, rather than England.
            Elaine

Comment

The US 1860 census shows a Harvey Hoover born 1833, living in Union, Centre, Pennsylvania with wife Mary born 1836 and daughter Laura, born 1859.
              If this is the right family then you are looking for a marriage probably somewhere between 1855-1860.
              Elaine

Comment

Thank you very much Elaine, not quite sure how to go about searching for a marriage in Pennsylvania but I will give it ago and see what I can turn up.

Danny

Comment

"It says that Mary Catlow's father was Richard, and I can see a Richard Catlow in the US 1850 census

Richard Catlow 51 - born England - occ Farmer
                  Mary Catlow 43 - born England
                  David Catlow 19 - born England
                  Mary Catlow 14
                  Sarah A Catlow 12
                  Martha Catlow 9
                  William R Catlow 7

living in Huston, Centre, Pennsylvania

... so I would imagine you need to look for a marriage in Pennsylvania, rather than England.
                  "

But if Richard Catlow was Sir Robert's nephew, and was born in England then the Catlow/Peel marriage to prove the link would have taken place in England.
                  Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

I had a look at Sir Robert Peel's sisters marriages and by the looks of it not one of them married a Catlow so I was a bit stumped as to how Richard could have been his nephew unless of course I have not seen all Robert's siblings?

Danny

Comment

I have just had another look and it states that Robert Peel was one of 11 and they only mention 9 so either 2 died young or 2 did not marry into influential families (Not worthy of mentioning)

Danny

Comment

There's a submitted entry on the IGI which has Richard Catlow marrying in Pennsylvania in 1822 (odd bearing in mind son David was born England according to the census) and born 1799 in Yorkshire. Trouble is there's nothing to show where the info came from and I can't see a likely extracted baptism entry for Richard.
                        Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post

But if Richard Catlow was Sir Robert's nephew, and was born in England then the Catlow/Peel marriage to prove the link would have taken place in England.
                          Yep! The Pennsylvanian marriage isn't going to tell us anything!
                          Elaine

Comment

Its a bit of a pain, I thought perhaps that a Catlow/Peel marriage would be quite easy to locate as the names are not to common and not likely to many of them marrying each other.
                            There is a post on the net which suggests that someone has family papers and a letter from Sir Robert Peel stating that he himself was delving into the Catlow family research but I cannot find a way to get in touch with this person.

Danny

Comment

Originally posted by JudithM View Post
                              There's a submitted entry on the IGI which has Richard Catlow marrying in Pennsylvania in 1822 (odd bearing in mind son David was born England according to the census) and born 1799 in Yorkshire. Trouble is there's nothing to show where the info came from and I can't see a likely extracted baptism entry for Richard.
                              I've rechecked that census and it does give David's place of birth as England - but there is a message on Ancestry message boards which tallies with the facts Judith has found.
                              Elaine

Comment

I shall have a look at that now Elaine. Hopefully it will shed some light for me. Thank you both for the help. I just hope I can find the marriage and connect the two properly.

Danny

Comment

another link which says that SIR ROBERT PEEL is Connected to this family--He is Related to Mary Smith Richard Catlow's Wife.
                                  .. but Richard Catlow's wife was apparently Mary Crowell?
                                  Elaine

Comment

That is an unusual one, they seem not to realise the name Smith and Crowell are not quite the same. So Mary Smith/Crowell is Robert's niece which would make Richard his nephew in-law? That dosent seem correct if Robert Peel was interested in the Catlow family history and both Catlow and Pell came from England whereas Mary was born in PA.

Danny

Comment

the siblings of RP

ELEANOR PEEL -
                                      23 JUN 1794 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      ROBERT PEEL -
                                      28 MAR 1788 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      JONATHAN PEEL -
                                      OCT 1799 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      JONATHAN PEEL -
                                      17 JAN 1800 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      LAWRENCE PEEL -
                                      28 JUN 1801 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      MARY PEEL ******
                                      11 AUG 1784 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      HARRIETT PEEL -
                                      06 MAY 1803 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      JOHN PEEL -
                                      21 JAN 1799 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      WILLIAM YATES PEEL -
                                      14 OCT 1789 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England
                                      ELIZABETH PEEL -
                                      24 MAY 1786 Saint Mary, Bury, Lancashire, England

on several trees on Ancestry and the IGI, they have a George Catlow married to a Mary Peel, only the marriage was too soon for it to have been RPs sister

Groom's Name: George Cattow
                                      Bride's Name: Mary Peel
                                      Marriage Date: 21 Feb 1791
                                      Marriage Place: Saint Mary,Bury,Lancashire,England
                                      Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

George and Mary had a son Richard, according to the trees and submitted entry IGI

Richard Catlow
                                      Birth:* 06 APR 1799** , Yorkshire, England
                                      Death:* 01 FEB 1881**
                                      Marriage:* 12 MAR 1822** <, , Pennsylvania>
                                      Spouse:* Mary Crowell

So the only possible connection is if Mary Peel was the Aunt of RP, RPs father was also a Sir Robert Peel I believe. (1st Baronet)

mm
                                      Last edited by marymog; 15-07-10, 00:47.

Comment

Just looked up RPs father, he married an Elizabeth Hawarth

they didnt have any children called Mary, they had:

1.Edmund Peel
                                        2.Lawrence Peel d. 1824
                                        3.Anne Peel d. 1826
                                        4.William Peel b. 1745, d. 1791
                                        5.Sir Robert Peel, 1st Bt.+1 b. 25 Apr 1750, d. 3 May 1830
                                        6.Jonathan Peel b. 1752, d. 3 Dec 1834
                                        7.Joseph Peel b. 5 Sep 1765, d. 1821
                                        8.Robert John Peel b. 1767, d. 2 Feb 1857

so it looks like The Mary Peel who married George Catlow, though in the right church wasnt related.

mm

Comment

Working...
                                        X