I have no idea why???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have no idea why???

Came across an entry for my family in the 1851 census, Combe St Nicholas, Somerset.
    Walter Mallock, had a daughter Mary who was born in St Mary Jersey. However the Family were living in Combe St. Nicholas in the 1841 census and as I said in CSN in 1851. Why would they go all that way, only to come back again within 10 years. It's not like there was a huge call for labour in Jersey in the 1840's (that I can find).

Any suggestions would be welcome.

Simon
    Last edited by sim; 14-07-10, 17:12.

Mistranscription? Misrecorded by the enumerator? I take it you have looked at the original image on Ancestry / FMP.
    On another tack, what was Walter's occupation in 1841 and 1851?
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

No I don't think that's it as the 1871 census also gives her birth as St Mary Jersey, in both his occ is listed as an Ag Lab.
      The only possibilty that I have come up with is that Mary wasn't the daughter of Walter (there were Robert and Betty (Walter's parents) Walter and Mary then Mary, John, and "Jersey" Mary who are all listed as Grand son/daughters. Possibly the "Jersey" Mary was a granddaughter from a different Son/daughter of Robert and Betty. That said in the 1881 census "Jersey" Mary is listed as Walters daughter.

Hope that all makes sense

Comment

It doesn't actually say that 1 year old Mary (born 'Jersey') is the child of Walter. She is the grand daughter of old Robert. Perhaps she is the child of another of Robert's children (and therefore neice to Walter)??

Anne

Edit: Ha Ha! I see you already came to that possibility!!!

Comment

Women often went home to Mum to have their babies. Is there any evidence that 'Jersey Mary's' mother came from Jersey herself?
          Looking for Bysh, Potter, Littleton, Parke, Franks, Sullivan, Gosden, Carroll, Hurst, Churcher, Covell, Elverson, Giles, Hawkins, Witherden...

Comment

Working...
          X