help please! wrong death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help please! wrong death?

i have matthew clemminson (1754-1827) marrying elizabeth harris (b.1764, dau of joseph harris and margaret richardson) in 1782, aycliffe durham. the christenings of the children say matthew was from startforth in yorks, and elizabeth was from aycliffe.

matthew was buried in aycliffe in 1827, from findmypast. there is only one elizabeth clemminson on there buried in aycliffe for the right time, birth wise.

i got the death cert that goes with the burial: elizabeth clemminson, d.9 nov 1849, aycliffe, age 87, (b.1762). widow of james clemminson, a farm labourer. she burned herself removing clothes from the fire, and died 7 hrs later.
    i believe i have her in aycliffe in 1841, age 75, which does not match her age on the death, but she was a widow in the census entry.

so i have a problem: the census entry is the only one for her age group in aycliffe, but doesnt match her age at death, and, i cant find a james clementson or variant marrying an elizabeth in aycliffe or durham.

im guessing the question is, is this lady my elizabeth, and james was written down instead of matthew? he was a labourer on the births of his children.
    i have another instance on a gro cert, mary pratt, widow of william, which was crossed out, and michael written in. in that case, michael was the correct husbands name.

How about one of these? Grinton is about 20 miles from Aycliffe:

Groom's Name: James Cleminson
    Bride's Name: Elizabeth Daykin
    Marriage Date: 04 Nov 1806
    Marriage Place: Grinton,York,England
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00742-1
    System Origin: England-ODM
    Source Film Number: 897351
    Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973

Bride's Name: Elizabeth Waggit
    Marriage Date: 10 Dec 1811
    Marriage Place: Grinton,York,England
    Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00742-1
    System Origin: England-ODM
    Source Film Number: 897351

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.
    Last edited by Richard in Perth; 14-07-10, 05:15.

Comment

... or this one? - even closer, though maybe a bit late:

Bride's Name: Elizabeth Parkinson
      Marriage Date: 17 May 1836
      Marriage Place: St. Helen-Auckland, Durham, England
      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M01234-7
      System Origin: England-EASy
      Source Film Number: 1894174
      Reference Number: yrs 1813-1837 p 159

Comment

Don't forget that the ages in 1841 were rounded up & down.

I take it that her death was registered by the coroner & not a family member? this could account for the wrong husband's name being listed.

I've got family from Aycliffe & people who are buried there, FMP doesn't have their burials but i've found them in the registers so some of the entries haven't been added or the period they state is covered is incorrect.

The Bishops Transcripts are on the pilot familysearch site if you don't already know this.

Don't know if you've seen this already but here's a nice site about Aycliffe's history
        Jay

Comment

in the 1841 census the ages above 15 were rounded down so 75 means 75 to 79 and as she was living by herself next to another old woman I imaging the enumerator guessed her age , I would be pushed to tell the difference between someone of 79 and 81.
          Mike in Droitwich

My family tree is on
          http://mjfisher.tribalpages.com

Comment

yes the coroner registered the death, i have an undertaker who registered my ancestors death in aus, and he got the mothers name wrong, so i guess the coroner may have made a mistake with the husbands name.

thanx for the site jayg, i have stumbled across it. it is lovely, and i have gotten some of the info from there ont he clemensons.
            i didnt know about the bishops transcripts, are they complete?

thanx richard, but im not sure about those clementson marriages in yorks. i noticed the grinton prs are full of them, but im not sure if they connect anywhere.

i know about the ages thing, i find it was a local choice in some counties, and it is still a big leap from 75-9 to 87 though.

Comment

Aged 87 in 1849 means she would be aged 79 in 1841. Age 75 on census in 1841 means aged between 75 and 79 as ages were rounded down. This all looks straightforward to me - with a consistent birth year of about 1762. OK your Elizabeth was born 1764 but that's only 2 years out and she wouldn't be the first old lady to add a couple of years to her age so that people could marvel at how well she was doing for her age, or maybe she and the people around her just weren't exactly sure of her age- date of birth was nowhere near as important in those days as now.
              Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

The BT's for Aycliffe go upto the 1860's I think. They aren't indexed so you need to look thru the scanned images.
                Jay

Comment

ive looked through the bt's, found some info i didnt have on the kids, confirmed the husbands death, and found elizabeth's burial, which gives no more information other than date, person and age. i think it all fits except for the husband, but i doubt i will know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                  X