Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Census - Army barracks

Hi,

When soldiers and there family are entered on the census are they normally grouped
    together ? I have a George Duke, along with Emma Duke, with 3 of their children,
    however the census shows Emma's husband as Edward and the father of the 3 children is Edward. I suspect it is my family as one of the children of my George and Emma Duke is
    named on the census, the 2 other children I don't know

Clare

Sometimes, but not always
    Joy

Comment

On the 1911 Census I found my soldier separate from his family in the barracks. I knew who I was looking for otherwise I would have missed the family.

Janet

Comment

Clare, I have an interest in the DUKE family name, were do yours originate ?

Comment

Hi Pilgrim,

My Great Great Grandfather George Frederick Duke was born in Attercliffe, Yorkshire c 1838

Clare

Comment

Clare, mine seems to start in Newark, not too far from Sheffield, when William Duke married Mary FOTHERBY in 1784. I will look out for George Frederick in my research you never know I could stumble across him,
            best regards Michael Duke

Comment

Hi Clare, I have the whole family in 1891 living in the barracks in Alverstoke near Gosport, what is it you would like to know? They have seven children living with them

Comment

Hello again Clare, well to correct my last message it would appear that Emma had a total of 13 children, including one set of twins, but quite a few died prior to the 1891 census. They were probably billetted in Fort Brockhursst or Fort Elson. George was ranked as a Superior B....... Serjeant (I was'nt swearing then the word is hard to decypher) I think it may be Barrack.
                He died in Alverstoke in 1899.

Comment

Hi Michael,

I thought that was the family, just kinda threw me, when it was transcribed as Edward
                  being the husband of Emma and the father of the children. I had found them in 1881
                  where the family were all entered on the census together at "Royal Horse Art
                  Barracks" West Fordington

In the 1911 census it shows she has 9 children living and 8 have died, however there
                  is a pencil scribble over this

In the 1881 census George's occupation is Barrack Sergant (Pensioner)

Thanks in advance if you do come across my Duke line

Clare

Comment

Working...
                  X