Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheriff's officer, London

Hello

Does anyone know if / where I might find records on a Sheriff Officer or Sheriff Officer's Clerk who lived in and around Holborn / Islington from 1840s through to 1862?

Also can anyone point me to a resource that will give me a good description of what a Sheriff's Officer would have done? The best descriptions I have seen are the anti-images by Dickens in Little Dorrit and other novels. Everything so far suggests that they were baliff type figures - am I on the right track?

Thanks in advance

Sue

Welcome to FTF, Sue!

I did a bit of googling and these links looked promising:

There may be something in our Wiki, if you look for expressions such as "Law & Order".

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

hi Christine
      Thanks for the suggestions above. I had found both those refs already - I was wondering if there might be some records that someone on here knew about. I am taking a trip down to the Islington Record Office this Saturday so I might find something there - if I do I'll let you know

thanks again

sue

Comment

Working...
      X