Microsoft Security Essentials

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microsoft Security Essentials

Many years ago I used to use AVG Free, then when I bought a new computer I was advised to install Kaspersky which I've run for a couple of years now, but it seems to be slowing my computer down when it is scanning or updating. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about Microsoft Security Essentials, I appreciate that it probably isn't as good as something that I have to pay for but is it as good or better than AVG? I am still running Windows XP (SP 3 - I think).

Margaret
    Margaret

I have Kaspersky and it only slows me down when its updating ? AVG used to slow me down ,a lot of people recommend Avast I believe ?

Comment

Thanks Val, I shall have to do a bit of googling, I would prefer 'free' if possible with maybe some spyware or something - nothing too complicated though.

Margaret
      Margaret

Comment

if your going for free
        Join 435 million others and get award-winning free antivirus for PC, Mac & Android. Surf safely & privately with our VPN. Download Avast today!

SUPERAntiSpyware protects you from malware, ransomware & spyware. Start your free trial today & remove Spyware, Rootkits, Adware, Viruses & More!

Protect your home and business PCs, Macs, iOS and Android devices from the latest cyber threats and malware, including ransomware.

uninstall Kaspersky first though

Comment

Hi Val,

After three weeks peace I am back to test you all for your expertise.
          First my free Avast which has not been on long is blocking my screen at every opportunity trying to sell me a product with no option for the free version. This advert will just not go away I have tried blocking it and the only way appears to uninstall it.

I am still in the 'iffy' situation as to replace this pc or upgrade it or buy an Apple. If I go for AppleMac I do not wish to pay for a new anti virus at this moment. I am not likely to buy another PC/Apple until 'Sir' has finished sailing at the end of September/October (or am I)?

Windows Live, will I still be able to use my Talktalk details and receive mail without using the TT site. I think it is the most awful site I have come across and you also have to sign into AOL to be able to read your mail. I don't fancy that either.

Most of all I am glad to read in the newspapers that the Quill Pen ~ letter writing is making a come back then we can throw our PC's from a great height.
          Margaret N
          DOGS HAVE OWNERS ~ CATS HAVE STAFF

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hi Margaret good to see you, As you know I installed Kaspersky and so far am really pleased with it, it does the lot in one no need for anything else.
            I am not too hot on Talktalk either ,rubbish after sales service.
            I have incredimail which I love and yahoo mail and that suits me .

Comment

Originally posted by Rusty View Post
              Many years ago I used to use AVG Free, then when I bought a new computer I was advised to install Kaspersky which I've run for a couple of years now, but it seems to be slowing my computer down when it is scanning or updating. I was wondering if anyone had anything to say about Microsoft Security Essentials, I appreciate that it probably isn't as good as something that I have to pay for but is it as good or better than AVG? I am still running Windows XP (SP 3 - I think).

Margaret
              Margaret:

Computer Active magazine likes MS Security Essentials. They say it's particularly good on older computers running XP. That's mine so I'm hoping to download and install it this weekend. My paid-for Norton which I get through BT is being withdrawn soon and I hate it anyway as it makes things so slow. My computer is very old (in computer terms anyway!) but it works well and is fine for what I want so I'm not inclined to get a new one. The magazine says Security Essentials doesn't slow things down as much as some of the other security software so I'm going to give it a try and use it with the Windows built-in firewall. There are some good reviews of it on the internet too,if you Google.

Ann
              ".... thy memory shall be blest by the children of the children of thy child".
              Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Thank you Ann, I think that when my Kaspersky runs out in a month or so I'll go for Security Essentials, can you let me know please how you get on with it?

Margaret
                Margaret

Comment

I understand that MS Essentials if 'free' is it better than Avast? My Avast runs out at anytime now and it only scans my email nothing else at all.

Will MS do more?

Will I need to remove Avast before downloading. I also have a Malaware Programme on do I need to remove this as well?
                  Any advice welcome.
                  Margaret N

Researching:- WILBURN from Yorkshire/Kings Lynn, London. NEWMAN from Dover/Reading. DOUGHTY from Portsmouth. ROGERS from Bethnal Green. Rumbelow from Norfolk

Comment

Hello Margaret, I've Googled MS Security Essentials as Ann suggested and it came out with good reviews so I'll certainly try it out when my Kaspersky runs out in just over a month.

It's almost certain that you'll need to remove Avast before you download MS, I'm not sure about the Malaware programme, but from memory as the new download progresses it will detect any other programme that it clashes with and give you the chance to uninstall it.

Margaret
                    Margaret

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                      I understand that MS Essentials if 'free' is it better than Avast? My Avast runs out at anytime now and it only scans my email nothing else at all.
                      Hi Margaret,

When you say your Avast is about to run out, do you have a free trial of the full Avast version, or the actual free version? The free version does not expire, although you do have to re-register it from time to time. Are you still using the old version (4.8) or the new one (5.0)? Because, according to the Avast website, the new one also includes anti-spyware and protection from "chat" infections and hijacked websites.

This link explains the difference between the free and paid versions of Avast: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download
                      Click on the "Do you need more protection?" tab halfway down the page for a more detailed explanation of the features of each version.

I would remove Avast before installing a different antivirus program.
                      Last edited by Cloggie; 17-07-10, 09:10.
                      Sarah

Comment

Hello Sarah,

I have managed to install version 5 'Free' I have not found version 6. It is telling me that it will only last until the 1st October 2010. This is why I think that maybe I should consider MS Essentials.

I have often re-registered with no problem in the past. I get very few emails and have never downloaded a programme if it does not come on a disk I don't have it. I have made the occassional travel bookings online so feel the free version is enough.

I will go and have a look at the link you have sent me. I will report back. (I have done that thank you).I have edited this in case you have previously read it.
                        Last edited by Margaret N; 18-07-10, 22:23.
                        Margaret N

Comment

Right, I've downloaded and installed Microsoft Security Essentials from Microsoft's own website. It was easy-peasy - very quick to do. The longest operation came after it was installed when it updated itself and then scanned my computer. We got a clean bill of health I'm pleased to say! Before I did all that though, I had to remove the Norton programme I was using up until today. To do that I had to download and run a special Norton Removal Tool but that seems to have worked OK too. Then I activated the Windows firewall (Control Panel>Security Centre>Windows firewall and check the button to say it is turned on), set a restore point for my computer and went ahead with downloading and installing Security Essentials. There is now an icon sitting on my desktop which opens the programme and another one in my system tray with a big green tick on it to show that my computer is protected. As far as I can see, it does everything my old Norton did but it won't cost me anything.

If you want to see more about Security Essentials with a step by step guide on what to expect when you install and use it have a look at this on the Computer Active magazine website.

I'll report back when I've been running it for a while

Ann
                          Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

I hope that you get on with it Ann, yes please I'd be interested to know how you get on.

Margaret
                            Margaret

Comment

Hi Margaret,

I’ve had Microsoft Security Essentials since Windows 7 came out and never had any problems with it. MSE does check to see if your copy of Windows is legitimate before it will install then it just runs in the background and updates itself whenever necessary.

Malcolm

Comment

Originally posted by Margaret N View Post
                                Hello Sarah,
                                I have managed to install version 5 'Free' I have not found version 6. It is telling me that it will only last until the 1st October 2010. This is why I think that maybe I should consider MS Essentials.
                                Hi Margaret,

I'm using version 5 of Avast, and don't know anything about version 6. Mine also says the current registration will expire on 1 October 2010, so I will just re-register at that time.
                                I'm not familiar enough with Microsoft Essentials to make any recommendations for or against it, but from what others have said about it on this thread, it sounds pretty good.
                                Sarah

Comment

It hasn't taken long for a problem to surface with Security Essentials. When I switch the computer on,the icon in the system tray is red and it says my computer is at risk because the software is disabled. I have to open the programme and switch it back on manually which today was a real pain as it took two goes before it happened. Then I have to manually tell it to update. I've looked at the Microsoft Security Essentials website and tried their trouble shooting solutions but it is still the same. One of the reasons MS gives is if you have any other security software on the computer. The only thing I have is Trusteer Rapport which my bank asked me to download months ago to protect my log-in details for online banking.It was never a problem with my old Norton. They say they are fully compatible with anti-virus software because they work in a different way - so I have no idea what the trouble is. I'm not prepared to disable Rapport because it could cause trouble with the bank if my account was hacked into and I wasn't using their recommended protection so I don't really know what to do now.

Ann
                                  Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Hi Ann,

I've just been looking at the support questions and found this.

Hope it helps.
                                    Christine in Portugal

Comment

Originally posted by Christine in Portugal View Post
                                      Thanks very much for your interest Christine...but I'd already found that and tried it. In fact, it was already set to "automatic" but it still doesn't switch on when I boot my computer up.

Ann
                                      Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Comment

Working...
                                      X