Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with 1851 and tracing back, please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with 1851 and tracing back, please.

Hi,

I am currently trying to trace my 4x great Grandmothers parents back through the census records.

Here is the information I have:

Sarah Hough (Hoff) gives her birth place as North Scarle Lincolnshire and her year of birth ranges from 1829-1832.

I have found a baptism for Sarah Hough which gives her parents names as Robert and Anne.

Thanks to another member I have Sarah on the 1841 census in Nottinghamshire living with her parents.

On the 1851 census sarah is living in Lincolnshire, lodging with a family.

On the 1851 census Sarah's mother and brother (Robert born 1824) are living in Catcliffe Yorkshire, both Anne and Robert are listed as married but Anne's husband isn't living with them and there is no wife for Robert.

From the 1841 census Robert's birth year is c1801, I can't seem to find a Robert Hough on the 1851.

I have found a death for a Robert Hough in 1857 Grantham lincolnshire and the estimated birth year is 1801.

Robert senior married Anne Radley 1824 in North and South Hykeham Lincolnshire, the witnesses to the marriage were William and Lettice Moody.

I have tried to trace William and Lettice to see if they are related to either Anne or Robert, but can't seem to find anything. But I did find a William and Lettice Hoff.

I was hoping to find Robert on the 1851 census so that I could confirm his place of birth.

Any help or advice, would be truly appreciated.

Kelly.

P.S I have put this request on another site as well, but haven't had no replies. I thought I would try here as well to see if anyone can help.

sorry Kelly I can't see a likely one in 1851 for Robert.
    Julie
    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Hi Julie,

Thank you for looking for me.

Kelly.

Comment

Hi KellyI would suggest you try looking for Huff and Huw and other variants as well. It's amazing how mangled some names can get!
        ~ with love from Little Nell~
        Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Hi Little Nell,

Thank you for your reply.

I have tried searching under Huff, I've also tried just searching for a robert born 1801 +/- 5 years.

On the 1841 census Robert, Ann and Sarah have been mistanscribed as Kragh! If it wasn't for Val I would never of found them!

Kelly.

Comment

do you have Anne on any more census? will you order that death cert? do you think its 'your Robert'?
            Last edited by Darksecretz; 11-07-10, 19:42. Reason: Spelling !! DUH!!
            Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

I only have Anne on the 1841 census and 1851. There are three Ann Hough deaths between 1851 and 1861 in the West riding of Yorkshire.

I think the death could be for my Robert, I haven't found another Robert Hough who was born c1801 living in the Lincolnshire area. Also, Robert's daughter Sarah lived in Grantham Lincolnshire.

I am planning on getting the death certificate in the hope that a relative registered the death. Unfortunately, I have had to put buying any certificates on hold until after my holidays. :(

I was wondering if the witnesses to Robert and Ann's marriage were connected, but I can't find any William and Lettice Moody's. But I have found a William and Lettice Hoff. I was wondering whether this is just a coincidence.

Kelly.

Comment

hmmn, I see what you mean, I see that he is buried in Grantham Cemetery, I dont suppose that contacting the local council will give anymore info??

a thought just crossed my mind, if Robert died, might she have remarried?
                Julie

Comment

have you had any luck in tracking Robert? b.1824?

edit:

do you have the ref for the 1851 cens (or a link, as I cant seem to find it)
                  Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-07-10, 10:08.
                  Julie

Comment

Ref for 1851 Piece 2343 Folio 76 Page 5
                    Transcribed as Hoff.

Moggie

Comment

thanks Moggie..

tricky family to find :(
                      Julie

Comment

Robert Hough married Sarah Greaves, widow? 1857 Qtr 1 Rotherham. They are together with a Greaves daughter in 1861 in Catcliffe. Robert's birthplace North Scarle, Lincs.
                        Don't know if the cert would help because marriage would have taken place before the Robert buried in Grantham cemetery died.(buried 1st Sep 1857).
                        Moggie

Comment

Hi Julie,

Yes they are a very tricky family.

On the 1851 census Robert (Junior) is listed as married but there is no wife listed! It could be possible that Anne re-married, I will have a look to see if I can find anything for her.

I could try contacting Grantham cemetery to see if they could give me any more information about Robert.

Hi Moggie,

That's another certificate to add to my list, if I wasn't going on my hol's in 4 weeks time I would have ordered them.

Kelly.

Comment

have you tracked Robert and Sarah Greaves at all through the census? I don't want to be putting stuff here if you already know it though it does seem that by the 1871 Census that Sarah is a widow and living with her mother Elizabeth, but has hte children with her. William b.1859 and Martha A. b.1864, so a narrow date of 1864 - 1871 to look for Robert jrs death.

1871 cens link:
                            http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...ki1871&indiv=1

edit to add:

Roberts death looks like it was in 1868. (he was 45 at death)
                            Last edited by Darksecretz; 12-07-10, 12:00.
                            Julie

Comment

right, seems that Sarah lives to a good age!

I have found her on 1881/1891/1901 do you have this info?
                              Julie

Comment

2 entries for Robert in NBI
                                Buried 19th July 1868 Rotherham All saints & Rotherham Moorgate Cemetery.

Do you know when Ann Hough died?
                                Moggie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                                  right, seems that Sarah lives to a good age!

I have found her on 1881/1891/1901 do you have this info?
                                  Burial for a Sarah Hough at Rotherham Moorgate Cemetery on 21st Jan 1915 age 91.
                                  Moggie

Comment

Hi Julie and Moggie,

Thank you for all of the information.

I had found Robert juniors death and had found sarah on the census after husband Robert had died.

I'm not sure when Ann Hough died, there is 3 death records for Ann Hough's in the West riding of Yorkshire. 1) 1852 tadcaster, 2)1853 Wakefield and 3)1857 Leeds.

Kelly.

Comment

y'know this marriage with Lettice as witness, where did you find it? do you have a copy of the pr? I found the marriage on Hugh Wallis' site but that doesnt give witness' names.
                                      Julie

Comment

Hi Julie,

The marriage is on freereg.

Comment

Working...
                                        X