Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FTM 2005 to FTM 2009

Hi,

At the beginning of the year I purchased FTM 2009 and I have also just bought a new laptop with windows 7. On my old laptop I have FTM 2005 and I want to put the FTM 2009 onto my new laptop and transfer all the info from 2005 to FTM 2009! How do I do this without losing pics in scrapbooks and of course all of the other info that I have put in my family tree?

You can either copy your master data file from FTM 2005 on to the hard drive of your new computer - the file will have a .ftw extension ... or create a backup copy from the FTM 2005 which would give you a file with a .fbk extension.

When you have installed FTM2009 click on the NEW TREE tab and you will see an option to open an existing file.
    Alternatively go to FILE / OPEN and browse for your 2005 file.
    Elaine

Comment

Hi there!

Many thanks for the quick reply. Just a quick question - I have backed up my files onto an external hard disc would I do anything different?

Comment

FTM 2009 should be able to read it from the external hard drive, but if it wont then just copy the file across to your computer.
        You will find that when you install FTM2009 it will automatically create a new folder in My Documents called Family Tree Maker. This is where FTM2009 will store your data files.

Let us know if you have any problems - I'm sure someone will be able to help.
        Elaine

Comment

Thanks very much for that - I will try that later today if I get a chance.

Comment

Working...
          X