Dade Parish Records help required with interpretation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dade Parish Records help required with interpretation

Hi, this is quite complex - please stay with me.....

Yesterday I spent about three hours trying to get my head around some of my hubby's ancestors. With the help of Dade Parish records it should have been relatively easy. However......

The problem I had was trying establish who the parents of numerous Uttley's were. I should add all these Uttley's came from the Parish of Wentworth, Rotherham. My quest was further complicated by the fact that there were numerous births with the father John. I think John born c1710 was responsible for a lot of these children. He married twice and if I am correct did not die until 1773. His second wife (Mary) was born 1724 so could have been having children well into her 40's 1764 and beyond. John's first son named John married Ann in 1761 and started having children straight away.

With the help of Dade registers I managed to work out who some of the mothers were, but there are some which could belong to either father or son.

Does any one know how the Parish records were recorded? My reason for asking is for the latter children of John and Ann their son Joseph born 1784 is recorded as being the 7th son. Assuming that all the male children born after 1761 belonged to John and Ann then there is one too many. One of course could belong to John and Mary but another possibility is that one son, Matthew, who was born but not christened is the additional son. The only reason I know of his existence is because his death and burial is recorded - he died as an infant.

I am wondering if the person recording the baptisms looked through the previous entries for the family and just counted the number of sons. If this was the case then, with the absence of Matthew, Joseph would be the 7th son

I have a similar problem with daughters. Ann born 1762 is definitely the first born daughter of John and Ann (she married Jonas Uttley and her children are recorded with reference to her being the daughter of John and Ann) and I have another daughter Sharelotte born 1778 who is recorded as the third daughter. Her sister Martha born the previous year is recorded as being the daughter of John and Ann. So in theory all daughters up to this point should be accounted for. But.... There is Sarah who seems to have two baptisms in 1765 one in June one in November. Both have the father as John (jun) Is this the same person or a mistake in recording? To complicate things further there is a burial for Sarah in the Oct of 1765 again belonging to John (jun). On first reading I assumed that John Junior would be John born 1738 but this does not add up as Martha born 1777 and Sharelotte born 1778 are definitely daughters two and three. Is Sarah the daughter(s) of John senior (born 1710)

I hope my rambling make some sense - any ideas will be appreciated.

Sandra

I've only had one adventure with Dade Registers and in the end I couldn't connect them to my family in a different part of Yorkshire. I do seem to remember wondering about things like "7th son" and "7th child". I couldn't work out if they might mean the same thing or refer only to sons - if you get my drift.

In the end I drew out trees for everyone in the parish with 'my' name and tried to allocate children according to what had been written - with due regard to dates and biological possibility.

LOL - sometimes there is too much info!!

Anne

Comment

I have done a similar thing to Anne. Fortunately for me, the whole extremely complex puzzle was solved by monumental inscriptions. These proved that Dade could not be called completely reliable, lol - either the parents couldn't count or they didn't understand the question....

OC

Comment

Numbering the children of specified parents has never featured in any of the Dade registers I've used.
        However, I've only dealt with fairly uncommon surnames in small villages, and there were never any instances of two sets of parents with the same names featuring at the same time.
        I've never heard of the numbering of children being a specific requirement of the Dade system - perhaps some vicars used this practice in order to comply with the Dade philosophy that all persons in the registers should be easily identified in years to come.
        I found the naming of grandparents in baptism entries really useful, but often this practicewasn't carried on for very long. It did make the entry very long winded, and must have been a chore for the vicar, but from a genealogy point of view, it was great!

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Comment

I was using the records for Wath on Dearne and they did mostly seem to number the children if I remember correctly. The records were so great I was very peeved when I couldn't make the connection I needed! My man had 'appeared' in a nearby (non Dade) parish and inconveniently died before I could get his place of birth on any census. Of course () there were two with the same name so I was non the wiser in the end.

Anne

Comment

Hi Ann,

I have a lot of ancestors both on my side and my hubby's side who come from virtually every parish surrounding Wath, and including Wath. If you would like me to look out for your man on my travels around parish records I am quite happy to do so. I think I might have to plan a visit to Barnsley as there seems to be a few Uttleys originating from Hoyland. I have also been to Doncaster and I may need to go back there in order to sort them (my Uttley's)out. The parishes east of Wath come under Doncaster.

Comment

Thanks very much for the offer. However I think I did as much as I could. I spent a whole day in Doncaster archives and also one at Barnsley! I found several possible candidates ....... BUT
              My problem is Joseph HOYLAND who married Elizabeth DENT in Sandal Magna in 1823 (why?!) and then lived in Dodworth for the rest of his life. He had the Chandler's Arms there (now the Thornely Arms). He died in January 1861 and as you probably know the 1851 census is non existent for there. Soooo - no clue as to where he was born! His death certificate doesn't really match a Joseph born in Dodworth or either of those born in Wath or Wentworth. And to cap it all - even though he ran the Inn he didn't leave a will!!!!

Anne

Comment

i have had trouble with people saying how many children they had!! i have clementsons in aycliffe, durham in the 1790's, they were talking bout 7th child, and 5th daughter, and that didnt add up!! it was great though, one of the baps stated the father was from startforth, so that helped tremendously finding his christening.

on victorian (aus) certs, the parents are asked how many children they have, and how many dead, my ancestors usually had no clue there as well, specially if they decided not to name them all, but just say "6 sons living 1 dead".

i honestly dont think they knew about maths!

Comment

Working...
                X