Downloadable reserch forms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downloadable reserch forms

Hi, have down loaded the free 5 generation chart from here and saved it to my documents.
    When i opened it the curser is flashing ready to go but nothing will type on it.
    What am i doing wrong .
    Edi.

Its a pdf file which will open in Adobe Reader - it is read only, you cannot type on it.
    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
      Its a pdf file which will open in Adobe Reader - it is read only, you cannot type on it.
      Thanks Elaine, Are there any i can use on the computor and then print or send by email?

Comment

Your best bet is to create a chart using family tree software. Are you using a program on your computer - if not where do you keep your tree?
        Elaine

Comment

Your best bet is to create a chart using family tree software. Are you using a program on your computer - if not where do you keep your tree?
          Sorry for delay in reply, have just been reading what was obviously stareing me in the face your sticky on getting started.Doh.
          I,ve an Ancestry sub and have been doing a tree on there but what happens to it when my sub runs out.

Comment

You can still access your tree even without a subscription. What you cannot do is initiate contact with other Ancestry subscribers.

It always worries me when people rely on an external site to keep their data safe. In my opinion you are far better off keeping the data on your own computer on a dedicated software program and if you want to upload it to Ancestry from time to time, then you can. With the data under your control you can then create regular backups for use should anything go wrong.

There are a couple of freebie programs you can use, namely Personal Ancestral File and Legacy - see the links at the top of this page.
            Probably one of the most common programs in use is Family Tree Maker and there are some good deals available which include a free 3 or 6 month subscription to Ancestry.
            The other widely used program is Family Historian, and if you click on the link at the top of this page you will find details where you can download the program for a month's free trial.

All of these programs create charts and reports at the click of a button (or two!).

If you do decide to use one of these programs then you would need to export your tree from Ancestry - which would be exported in GEDCOM format - and then import it into whichever program you are using - there is no need to key in all the data again.
            Elaine

Comment

You can still access your tree even without a subscription. What you cannot do is initiate contact with other Ancestry subscribers.

It always worries me when people rely on an external site to keep their data safe. In my opinion you are far better off keeping the data on your own computer on a dedicated software program and if you want to upload it to Ancestry from time to time, then you can. With the data under your control you can then create regular backups for use should anything go wrong.

There are a couple of freebie programs you can use, namely Personal Ancestral File and Legacy - see the links at the top of this page.
              Probably one of the most common programs in use is Family Tree Maker and there are some good deals available which include a free 3 or 6 month subscription to Ancestry.
              The other widely used program is Family Historian, and if you click on the link at the top of this page you will find details where you can download the program for a month's free trial.

All of these programs create charts and reports at the click of a button (or two!).

If you do decide to use one of these programs then you would need to export your tree from Ancestry - which would be exported in GEDCOM format - and then import it into whichever program you are using - there is no need to key in all the data again.
              Thankyou Elaine, most helpful, will have a look at the options available as i have been wanting to move my tree off ancestry. Edi.

Comment

If you need any more info then just ask!
                Elaine

Comment

Try this site good interactive tree on there;;;

borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Nudge in case Edi didnt see this posting ;;have had few people say how nice the tree chart one is
                    borobabs passed away March 2018

Comment

Originally posted by borobabs View Post
                      Try this site good interactive tree on there;;;

http://genealogy.about.com/od/free_c...Tree_Chart.htm
                      Thanks very much Borobabs, have saved it to favorites, there's some lovely charts on there. Edi

Comment

Working...
                      X