Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hugh Hopkins in 1841?

Hi all,

Can anyone help me find Hugh Hopkins b1798 Burslem, Staffs, in the 1841 census? He crops up in 1851 as a widower living in Chapel St, Hanley with Ann Bostock as a lodger. Hugh and Ann go on to marry in 1853. I believe this Hugh also married a Joanna/Hannah Scarratt in 1820 ish and that they had children Samuel (1821), Charles (1823), Emma (1830 my 3xg grandmother, Hugh is named on her marriage cert as father), Hannah (1835), Hugh (1837), Maria (1839) and James (1842). Wife Hannah appears on the 1841 census in Chapel St, Hanley with children Emma, Hannah, Hugh and Maria. Hugh sr is not present and I can't find him for love nor money!

(And one other reason why I believe Hugh sr is the same person throughout is that the christrening record for Hugh (1798 Hanley) shows that his father is a Charles, which seems to tie in with the children. And the family seem to be in the same street throughout too.)

Help!

Kate x

What was his occupation? I admit I have a gt x 2 grandfather who refuses to be around in 1841 or in 1851, where his wife says she's a "plate layer's wife" so I presume he is somewhere laying plates (railway plates) but can't find him. He is described in other places as a "fisherman" so perhaps he was off fishing on census night. On his death cert he's an ag lab.

My ex has a gt x 3 grandfather who is happy to be listed on his 12 children's baptism entries, witnesses other family members' weddings, takes out insurance on his business but is nowhere to be found in 1841, 51 or 61. In 1871 his wife is calling herself a widow but I can't find a death for him either!
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

In 1851 he's down as a 'Pot seller' I think, which fits for the area. I'm just hoping that some one here can find him for me, but in the meantime I've been through the 1841 for Chapel St page by page, as children Hannah and Hugh are also still in lodgings there in 1851, presumably just a few doors away from their father and younger brother. No joy, so am going to try the rest of that district...

Comment

Just a quick bump, would really value another pair of eyes on this, thanks!

Kate x

Comment

I have been looking, but can't find him. Will keep trying for you.
          Jules

I'anson of Lincolnshire and Yorkshire. Bannister of Lincolnshire. Burnett of Northumberland. Carter of Sussex and Hampshire. Goldring of Sussex and Hampshire. Fitzgerald of Goodness knows where. Smith of Yorkshire and Lincolnshire. Dixon of Lincolnshire. Payne of Hampshire

Comment

I had a look last night without any luck. Will give it another go.
            Elaine

Comment

No luck here either I'm afraid
              Jackie

Comment

Sorry, can't see him.
                Elaine

Comment

Phooey, guess he'll have to go on my 'parked' list for now then! Just about to order one of the youngest children's birth certs to double check MMN so at least that will give me something on the family one way or another...

Thanks for trying everyone x

Comment

not sure but you might need to add a correction for the 1841 census for Hannah, as she is transcribed as HOPKINSON, :D have had a look for Hugh but not found him.
                    Julie
                    They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

I believe this Hugh also married a Joanna/Hannah Scarratt in 1820 ish
                      Have you seen the family search beta record?
                      Groom's Name: Hugh Hobkin
                      Groom's Birth Date:
                      Groom's Birthplace:
                      Groom's Age:
                      Bride's Name: Joanna Scarratt
                      Bride's Birth Date:
                      Bride's Birthplace:
                      Bride's Age:
                      Marriage Date: 06 Mar 1820
                      Marriage Place: Hanley,Stafford,England
                      Groom's Father's Name:
                      Groom's Mother's Name:
                      Bride's Father's Name:
                      Bride's Mother's Name:
                      Groom's Race:
                      Groom's Marital Status:
                      Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
                      Bride's Race:
                      Bride's Marital Status:
                      Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M01058-3
                      System Origin: England-ODM
                      Source Film Number: 426561
                      Reference Number:
                      Collection: England Marriages, 1538–1973
                      and this baptism record, also there:
                      Name: Hugh Hopkin
                      Baptism/Christening Date: 08 Apr 1798
                      Baptism/Christening Place: Saint John, Burslem, Stafford, England
                      Birth Date:
                      Birthplace:
                      Death Date:
                      Name Note:
                      Race:
                      Father's Name: Charles Hopkin
                      Father's Birthplace:
                      Father's Age:
                      Mother's Name: Elizabeth
                      Mother's Birthplace:
                      Mother's Age:
                      Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C02104-5
                      System Origin: England-EASy
                      Source Film Number: 1278910
                      Reference Number: item 2
                      Collection: England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
                      Perhaps that's what you were referring to?

Christine
                      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

There's a 20-year-old Hugh HOPKINS in Grantham Union (HO107 piece 625 folio 4/22 page 36), but it does look like 20 and not 40.

On the other hand he's not born-in-county - but I think the last column makes him Scottish, but it's not clear.

Christine
                        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Yes, that's the one Christine. The fact that on his remarriage to Ann Bostock he names his father as Charles Hopkins also ties in nicely, and his second son with Hannah is named Charles too. It's just with the potential confusion over Hannah/Joanna I didn't want to be too prescriptive. And the evidence over his first two sons is a little odd too. There are two christening records for each of Samuel and Charles on the IGI for the same parents and in the same batch, but neither of them are present on the '41 census with mother Hannah, though there is a record for a Charles and a Samuel Hopkins of roughly the right ages together at another household in the same area. So it's open to debate whether or not the original two died and the names were reused, or whether for whatever reason they were christened twice. I've ordered a birth cert for Maria, born 1839 to see what that yields for MMN too.

Kate x

Comment

It's just with the potential confusion over Hannah/Joanna I didn't want to be too prescriptive.
                            I'd be inclined to claim that record, with reservations noted - but I know that different people have different approaches according to what best suits their temperaments. Jo(h)anna is so close to Hannah.

The duplication of children's names is always a problem; but I see you've got the likely explanations lined up, ready to match to relevant evidence as/when it turns up.

Good luck!

Oh, and I couldn't find a straight match for Hugh in 1841, either, sorry!

Christine

Comment

Update:

I am claiming the Joanna Scarratt record above - I've recieved Maria Hopkins birth certificate, and her mother is indeed listed as Hannah Hopkins formerly Scarratt, father Hugh Hopkins. Thanks for all your efforts on finding Hugh - I'm sure I'll get him eventually

Kate x

Comment

Working...
                              X