Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Website Software

Hi all

I'm a newbie to the forum and relative newbie in the field of genealogy.

I have created my tree using ancestry and am in the process of cleaning up the gedcom file and adding media links to local copies of the census form to upload to paf.

I also want to create a website. I have tried out PhpGedView, TNG and Genmod. Tng looks much "pritier" but I can't set the permissions to stop unregistered users seeing any media files, therefore I can't upload census images. Genmod and PhpGedView appear to be same programme with a different style sheet,

Has anyone on the forum any experience using these or any other (free) software for creating a website.

Bob
    http://buswalks.co.uk

Originally posted by bobdonk View Post
    I have created my tree using ancestry and am in the process of cleaning up the gedcom file and adding media links to local copies of the census form to upload to paf.
    My first thought is that GEDCOM is a data file, so when you save your Ancestry tree in GEDCOM format ready to import into PAF, I don't think it will contain the images or media links which you are adding.

Can't help with the website software but there are a few members who use the TNG software so hopefully someone will be able to help!
    Elaine

Comment

I use TNG, but don't hide the images since the whole point for me of putting it online is to share, (apart from hiding living people) so haven't tried to hide them, but in TNG Admin, under Media there is a box to tick if you want them to be seen:

Always viewable
      Check this box if you want this media item to be displayed for the linked individuals at all times, regardless of their living status and user permissions.

So it looks as though you have to get the user permissions sorted first, then they won't show unless somebody logs in.
      Caroline
      Caroline's Family History Pages
      Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Caroline
        It's not a desire to hide the information to prying eyes it's a question of copyright violation.

I've tried checking an unchecking the always viewable box but it doesn't seem to make any difference. Thanks anyway.

Elaine

Yes I'm aware that the gedcom is a text file and doesn't contain images. But it does contain links to the image on ancestry. PhpGedView supports media (OBJE) tags and FILE tags

I have saved all my census images in the format class_piece_folio_page.jpg so I don't think I'll have too many problems matching them up.

Ancestry also exports spurious tags including MARR tags attached to individuals as well some to families where no marriage has been added also _MREL _FREL and a few others.

Bob
        http://buswalks.co.uk

Comment

Working...
        X