Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find Amos Henry Fletcher in 1881 and 1891 in England, please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Amos Henry Fletcher in 1881 and 1891 in England, please?

This is what I know about him -

He was born in Deptford, Kent 29 February 1868, date of birth according to his baptismal details, birth registered June qr Greenwich District. He was christened in St Paul, Deptford, 15 August 1869. Parents - Arthur and Emma Fletcher, 54 Shere Road. Occupation Plater.

1871 census age 3, b Deptford, with his parents Arthur, a Plater, age 26, b Charsfield, Suffolk, and Emma, aged 25, b Hull, Yorkshire, and his sister Sarah Ann, age 1, b Deptford, at 6 Desart Street, Bromley-by-Bow.

1901 census transcribed as Amor Henry, Insurance Clerk Inspector, age 32, with an aunt (possibly his father's stepsister), in Chelgrove Terrace, Merchants Quay, Dublin.

He married Louisa Scott 7th August 1901 in Dublin.

1911 census Insurance Inspector, age 43, b Deptford, Kent, England, married for 9 years to Louise Margaret Fletcher, age 39, b Dublin, both Church of Ireland, no children, at 35 Rathgar Avenue, Dublin.

Amos died in 1933 at 65 years of age, registered September qr Dublin South registration District.

His father, Arthur, married Emma Twelves in St Paul, Deptford, 26 December 1865.
    Arthur died 1 February 1872 at 27 years of age, and was buried 5 February 1872 in Brockley Cemetery. Address of person who arranged burial - Reginald Street, St Paul's, Deptford; that would have been his mother and stepfather, Mary and John Dyball. I have information about his previous years.

I thought I had found a second marriage for Amos's mother but can't find it now!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Joy Dean; 06-07-10, 11:28.
    Joy

... or his sister or his mother, please? Thank you.
    Joy

Comment

If there is no sign of any of them, could they all have gone to Ireland pre-1881?
      Glen

Comment

Thank you for the suggestion. It is a possibility, but I wonder why.
        The step-aunt (whom I mentioned, only I put half by mistake before) was still in England in 1881 - Sarah Ann Dyball, 1881 census Lodger, age 35, unmarried, Independent, 16 Henry Street South Side, Deptford.
        Joy

Comment

From the IGI and Record Search
          Emma Mary Fletcher
          Birth Date: 14 March 1872
          Birthplace: Dublin, Ireland
          Father's Name: Arthur Fletcher
          Mother's Name: Emma Twelves

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyB View Post
            From the IGI and Record Search
            Emma Mary Fletcher
            Birth Date: 14 March 1872
            Birthplace: Dublin, Ireland
            Father's Name: Arthur Fletcher
            Mother's Name: Emma Twelves
            Thank you - that is new to me
            Joy

Comment

I have been given proof that the IGI entry is correct; thank you again. -

I am more curious than ever now
              and am wondering if she left the two English children in England or took them with her, if she had been hoping Arthur would have been able to join her there, and what a hard life she must have had by herself.
              Last edited by Joy Dean; 07-07-10, 08:12.
              Joy

Comment

Ah, Sarah was Emma's sister, not Arthur's -

TWELVES, Sarah Ann, 21+, spinster, born Hull, Yorkshire, daughter of Samuel Twelves, married 12th March 1863 to
                HAMILTON, Henry, 21+, bachelor, born Dublin, Military Stores Clerk, son of Marcus Hamilton.
                Joy

Comment

Three are some TWELVES records which show up on Yorkshire BMD (http://www.yorkshirebmd.org.uk/), including Emma, b 1845 in Myton, and George b 1838 Humber.

And there's a 1837 marriage for Samuel TWELVES to Sarah Ann DALTON in All Saints, Sculcoates. That makes Sarah Ann a likely name for a daughter.

And there are some young deaths recorded there, too.

Christine
                  Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

Thank you. I had seen the marriage for Samuel and Sarah Ann in free BMD but had not thought of looking in the Yorkshire BMD site.
                    And I have since seen christenings for some of their children in the IGI, including Sarah Ann.

I may never know what became of Amos's sisters nor of his mother. But I shall keep wondering, and something else may turn up ...
                    Joy

Comment

Have had another look, have only find
                      birth and death of a William John Fletcher (or just John on the Irish church records site you gave?) which might be the same Emma as mum somehow
                      William John Fletcher
                      Born 19 November 1880
                      Father William John Fletcher
                      Mother Emma Twelve
                      Of 24 Bath Avenue Dublin
                      From LDS MF 256065, which is the birth registrations in Ireland for Oct-Dec 1880, hence the maiden name, as they have read it. Indexed - District: Dublin South Vol 2 Page 547
                      He seems to have died next quarter?
                      May not be her of course, but there is also a death of a Sarah Anne Fletcher, age 14, Jan-March 1884 Dublin South Vol 2 Page 593

Jon

Comment

Jon, thank you, I do appreciate you taking the time to look for them.
                        That is certainly a possibility, the birth and sad early death of the baby, as the surname is so unusual, with the mother giving a made up name for the baby's father, perhaps?
                        And the death registration of 14-year-old Sarah Anne, that looks very likely to be Amos's sister born in 1870.
                        Thank you.
                        Joy

Comment

There is a death registration April/ June qr 1891 Dublin South Registration District for an Emma Fletcher age 42 which is a possibility for Amos's mother, given the fact that whoever registered it might not have known exactly when she was born; and maybe a marriage for his sister Emma 1897 Dublin North.
                          Joy

Comment

Working...
                          X