Tipton/West Bromwich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipton/West Bromwich

Can anyone tell me for the purpose of registering births, marriages, and deaths, if Tipton in the West Midlands came under West Bromwich. I have an address of Cophall Street, West Bromwich for one of my ancestors, but the only one I can find is in Tipton, a few miles away

Tipton came under Dudley:

The links to Registration Districts can be found on our Records Office Guide page.

Caroline
    Caroline's Family History Pages
    Meddle not in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and good with ketchup.

Comment

Tipton (Staffs) 1837-1935 - registration district was Dudley
      Tipton (Staffs) 1937-1966 - registration district was Wednesbury
      Elaine

Comment

Sorry to jump in - - - Thanks Caroline and Elaine - that info is useful to me also.
        herky
        Researching - Trimmer (Farringdon), Noble & Taylor (Ross and Cromarty), Norris (Glasgow), McGilvray (Glasgow and Australia), Leck & Efford (Glasgow), Ferrett (Hampshire), Jenkins & Williams (Aberystwyth), Morton (Motherwell and Tipton), Barrowman (Glasgow), Lilley (Bromsgrove and Glasgow), Cresswell (England and Lanarkshire). Simpson, Morrow and Norris in Ireland. Thomas Price b c 1844 Scotland.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I have looked in the A-Z and the only Cophall Street, I can find is in Tipton, and the the person I am researching had her death registered in West Bromwich. Perhaps there was another Cophall Street. Anyway, many thanks for helping.

Comment

Originally posted by Nodrogw View Post
            Thanks for the information. I have looked in the A-Z and the only Cophall Street, I can find is in Tipton, and the the person I am researching had her death registered in West Bromwich. Perhaps there was another Cophall Street. Anyway, many thanks for helping.
            Maybe it is one and the same place, cophall street that is, the county boundaries could have been moved. Just because she was registered in West Brom doesnt mean she died there, What I mean is, that is only the registration district, she could well have died at Cophall street, but because she lived there the death had to be registered under West Brom. does that make sense?

some of my relatives died in the Basford District of Nottinghamshire, but they didnt live IN Basford, they lived in Bulwell, Hucknall, Kirkby in Ashfield, but they all fall under the Basford District. does that help clarify at all?
            Julie
            They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

You don't say what date the death took place, but I have just searched the 1871 census and there is a Tophall Street recorded in West Bromwich.
              Elaine

Comment

To give you some idea where it was the enumeration district that includes Tophall Street is described as follows:

In St Peter Ecclesiastical District. All that part of the Parish of West Bromwich comprising both sides of Oldbury Road from Grout Street to Farley Street, New Town Yard, Horton Street, Cophall Street and all Back houses.

(source 1871 census)
                Elaine

Comment

Thank you so much for the information you have found for me. You are probably right that she died at Cophall Street, but the death had to be registered at West Bromwich. I should have said that she died in 1906.

Comment

Deaths were registered in the place of death. So if it was registered in the West Bromwich registration district then that is where she died.
                    If she had died in Tipton then it would have been registered in the Dudley district.
                    Elaine

Comment

Just a thought, are there any hospitals in w/brom? it might be that although she lived in Tipton, she died in a Hospital in w/brom that would mean as she died there she would be registered there and not Dudley. (sorry am rambling)
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

Not sure that Nodrogw has established that she lived in Tipton. I think he/she is presuming she lived in Tipton as that is the only place he/she found a Cophall Street.
                        However, in the 1800s and early 1900s there was definitely a Cophall Street in West Bromwich.
                        Elaine

Comment

I also have ancestors who lived in Cophall Street, West bromwich. My grandfather was born there in 1888 and his birth certificate was issued by the sub district of West Bromwich being West Bromwich South West! They also lived in Whitehall Road at other times, and if you search the postcode DY4 7 on Maps you will see both of these roads in West Bromwich.

Also I have found the following quote on the internet " The Cophall council estate west of Whirehall Road was begun in 1959 after the clearance of about 100 slum houses some of them back-to-back.

Comment

Working...
                          X