Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone lost a PECK (Royal Navy AB) ca 1920?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone lost a PECK (Royal Navy AB) ca 1920?

I'm (sporadically - it's quite a substantial task) transcribing OH's grandfather's Log of HMS Dartmouth on the South American Station 27 April 1919 - 20 January 1921.

I was taking a little look ahead, and spotted these entries in 1920, when the ship was in South Africa:
    Friday 3rd (Sept): AB Peck went to Hospital
    Monday 6th Sept: Peck died in hospital 3.45 pm
    Wed 8 Sept: AB Peck Buried at Glencairn [cemetery]. Full honors from ship. HMS Birminghams Band in attendance.
    And there's a photograph of the wreaths on the grave.

So far, I haven't spotted any earlier references to AB Peck.

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Christine just a little bit more info to help someone tie him in.

He is listed on the naval-history.net site as Albert G PEEK - with a service no of 237697

However the Register of Seamen's Services at the NA has this no allocated to GILBERT GEORGE PEEK - born Cork - 11 January 1891 and in the GRO Navy War Deaths Register (that runs up till 1921) he is listed under this name too - with reference to the Dartmouth

Sounds like the transcription is a fascinating (if laborious) task. Good Luck with it

Cheers
    Sue

Comment

As a former PECK myself I can confirm that PEEK/PECK/BECK are all common transpositions even today when people are writing out official forms! My G grandmother's death is on the GRO index as PEEK although when I finally got the certificate it clearly says PECK!!!

Anne

Comment

Thank you both for your feedback. I had looked at the name more than once, because it looks almost like PEEK... just that there's no distinguishable loop on the second lower-case letter.

Now that you've given me a potential name, Sue, I might have another go at seeing if I can spot anyone, anywhere, who has him in their tree.

Christine
        Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

I see from the naval-history.net site, that Sue mentioned, that there's no doubt about the person-match. Date and ship are matched.

I did have a bookmark for that site, but hadn't realised it would give me that info.

I have just found this on the LDS pilot site...
          Name: Gilbert George Peek
          Registration District: Cork
          Event Type: BIRTHS
          Registration Quarter and Year: Jan - Mar 1891
          Estimated Birth Year:
          Age (at Death):
          Mother's Maiden Name:
          Film Number: 101063
          Volume Number: 5
          Page Number: 98
          Digital Folder Number: 4193977
          Image Number: 00400
          Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958
          So it looks as if "Albert" is a mis-reading.
          Christine

Comment

Just googled the name and found this:
            Initials: G G, Nationality: United Kingdom, Rank: Able Seaman, Extra Info: Son Of Joseph And Jane Peek, Of 2, Kimberley Villas, St. Lukes, Cork., Regiment: Royal Navy, Unit Text: H.M.S. "Dartmouth.", Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead, Grave Reference: Naval Allotment Row B. Grave 43., Cemetery: SIMON'S TOWN (DIDO VALLEY) CEMETERY...
            So I'll go and have a look on the CWGC site.

Christine

Comment

Per the Irish 1911 census, he came from a family of C-fo-I folk. He had two sisters: Lucy (b 1884-5), and Susan (b 1885-6); and a brother, William (b 1888-9). On that basis, he seems to have been the youngest. (The 27 year marriage had been blessed by four children, all still living at the time.)

In 1901, 10-year-old "Gilbert" is at home with the rest of his family.
              In 1911 he's at RG14PN4467 RD62 SD1 ED18 SN9999 on HMS Barham, recorded as being at Sheerness, but the "station" is the Mediterranean.

Christine
              Last edited by Christine in Herts; 06-07-10, 22:38.

Comment

Looks as if his father shows up on TNA, too (he shows as a naval pensioner on the 1901 & 1911 censuses):
                Name Peek, Joseph Place of Birth: Skull, County Cork Continuous Service Number: 12453A Date of Volunteering: 10 October 1861 10 October 1843ADM 139/525
                Name Peek, Joseph Official Number: 61732 Place of Birth: Skull, Cork 10 October 1843ADM 188/41
                Christine

Comment

I've had a look on GR, but there's only a name that could be a brother to Joseph. No follow up names on that line.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X