George Foster/Forster b 1799 ?where

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Foster/Forster b 1799 ?where

I would be very grateful for some help from anyone!!!

William Foster was b 1880 Forton Barracks, Alverstoke, Hampshire
    George Foster (his father) was b 1844 Astbury, Cheshire
    William Forster (George's father) was born 1817 Astbury, Cheshire
    George Foster (William Forster's father) was born 1791 but ? where. He married in Saltersford cum Kettleshulme in Cheshire in 1816 to Jane Bebington b 1806 (?where). Their marriage is recorded on Family Search Pilot as taking place as above and both were resident in the above place (Saltersford-cum-Kettleshulme).
    George b 1791's marriage is recorded in the name of Foster - it was only his son William b 1817 who was a Forster it would appear. Perhaps due to illiteracy, perhaps due to accent as well.

William Foster b 1880 married Lizzie Georgina Bright 1905 London
    George Foster b 1844 married Mary Ann Rowland b 1848 (she was born in Cape of Good Hope South Africa according to 1891 and 1901 census) [known in family to have changed his name to Foster]
    William FORSTER b 1817 married Kezia Bayley (Bailey) Astbury St Mary, Cheshire
    George Foster b 1791 married Jane Bebbington b 1801 in 1816 at (probably) Prestbury Church - both were living in Saltersford-cum Kettleshulme at the time of marriage.

George b 1791 died in 1828 and was buried in Astbury St. Mary.
    All George 1791's children were born in or around Astbury St. Mary and all were baptised at that church.

I am totally unable to find the parents of George Foster (just possibly Forster) who was b1799 ?where - I suspect Astbury, possibly Hanley, Staffs, or even Prestbury but really have no clues. I am sure they were a Cheshire family but who knows.

There are no clues from all the children of each person named above. However, George born 1799 had children called William, Elizabeth, Ellen and Joseph. If things run true to previous in this family George's father should be William and, indeed, his eldest son is named William. I suspect his wife should be Elizabeth (possibly Betty) or even Ellen.

Any help appreciated after a long search.

Sue
    Last edited by Sue1; 04-07-10, 17:25. Reason: date error

Well the general advice is to start with where you first know George lived (his marriage place) and look in all the surrounding parishes, spreading outwards in a circle. Of course there were lots of exceptions but I heard that generally around the early 1800s and before most folk stayed within a 10-mile radius of their birthplace. Your problem would be whether you could be definite any George Forster/Foster baptism you found was YOUR chap.
    ~ with love from Little Nell~
    Chowns, Dunt, Emms, Mealing, Purvey & Smoothy

Comment

Working...
    X