Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Splitting a tree in FTM 2010?

Hi all,

Have just taken the plunge with FTM 2010 (mainly for the Ancestry sub!) and have successfully imported and corrected a tree from TribalPages. However this is what I would call my master tree - it's got absolutely everyone on it for me and my husband as a legacy for our children. I've looked through the two booklets and the Help menu but can't find an answer to my question -

Can I split off specific lines and save them as a separate tree? Ideally I want to hive off trees for my maternal, paternal and husband's maternal and paternal lines all separately - 4 mini trees if you like. I know there are some quite sophisticated reports that can be generated, but is there a way of splitting and resaving trees?

Ta muchly,

Kate xx

My first reaction is why do you want to split it! If it's a legacy for your children then why not keep the tree as a whole, showing all their ancestors in one tree ... but that's just my person opinion!

On a more helpful basis, the following link should help.

How to partially export or split a file in FTM 2008-2010
    Elaine

Comment

Thanks Elaine,

Will check that out now.

I just want to be able to have some of the data in separate files to tinker with, and to create reports and stuff to send to family, without destroying the master tree in the process. Little back ups as well as full ones, iyswim.

Thanks ever so much

Kate x

Comment

I think one of the problems with creating separate files is that sometimes people add to these rather than to the master (big) file - and then wonder why things don't match. They then start merging files and end up with numerous duplicate entries!

As you say, useful to tinker with but make sure your original master file is always kept as the master file!
        Elaine

Comment

Well I've called it 'Master Tree' so I'm hoping that will keep me clued in! And I'm pretty good with research and analysis - I was an economist for years and setting up and managing research projects was part of my job. I've tried to apply the same discipline to my family researches but as ever, have gotten sidetracked here and there :o There's a distinct lack of source notes on most of my tree I've noticed, so I'm hoping to use the Ancestry link function in FTM to correct that over the next few months.

Thanks again Elaine, the link was exactly what I was hoping for,

Kate x

Comment

Working...
          X