Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please ....

Please see post 25 for update

I trying to confirm whether or not the following family are related to one that I am currently researching.

The details were found on a website that includes gravestone monuments at Trimley St Martin, Suffolk ... whilst the deceaseds' names are given together with their relationship to each other, there are no clues as to their ages / when buried.

So, I'd appreciate it if there are any supersleuths out there who have a bit of time to spare and are able to find a bit more info about them via census (my Ancestry sub has expired!), bmd info etc.

This is the info from the gravestone;

Joseph Butler

Robert Bernard Gorham - son of Joseph Butler
    (I've found his birth on FreeBMD = Q2 1893 Woodbridge, Suffolk but not found his death ... I'm hoping that 1901 and 1911 census will shed some light on his parents etc)

Stephen Gorham - father of Joseph Butler

Emma Gorham - mother of Joseph Butler

Thanks
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 05-07-10, 20:00.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

so far ...

1901 census

Stephen Gorham 42 head
    Emma Gorham 39
    Alice Collina 18
    Maud Gorham 11
    Robert Gorham 7
    Violet Gorham 4
    Ethel Gorham 3

all born Timley St Martin

marriage from freeBMD
    Marriages Dec 1889
    Collins Emma
    Gorham Stephen
    Woodbridge 4a 1609

.. still trying to work out where Joseph Butler fits in!
    Elaine

Comment

From CWGC

GORHAM, ROBERT BERNARD
      Royal Navy H.M.S. "Princess Irene."
      Date of Death: 27/05/1915
      Service No: K/9118
      Additional information: Son of Stephen and Emma Gorham, of 2, Delun Villas, Mill Lane, Trimley, Ipswich.
      Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
      Grave/Memorial Reference: 11.
      Elaine

Comment

I can't see how Joseph Butler can be the father of Robert Gorham.
        Stephen and Emma Gorham are married by the time he was born, and I can trace Emma back as Emma Collins to the 1881 census where she is living at home with her parents.

.. unless of course I am looking at totally the wrong family!
        Elaine

Comment

Hi Elaine ... thanks for your help with this

Just wondering if Emma was previously Butler and she married xx Collins prior to marrying Gorham ????

Comment

Originally posted by Elaine ..Spain View Post
            From CWGC

GORHAM, ROBERT BERNARD
            Royal Navy H.M.S. "Princess Irene."
            Date of Death: 27/05/1915
            Service No: K/9118
            Additional information: Son of Stephen and Emma Gorham, of 2, Delun Villas, Mill Lane, Trimley, Ipswich.
            Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
            Grave/Memorial Reference: 11.
            That's interesting .......... and he's listed with family (aged 7) in 1901 although it's not unknown for grandchildren to be listed as children !!
            Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 04-07-10, 10:17.

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
              Hi Elaine ... thanks for your help with this

Just wondering if Emma was previously Butler and she married xx Collins prior to marrying Gorham ????
              I thought that but she is in the 1881 census as follows:

Barnabas Collins 62 - head
              Hannah Collins 53 - wife
              Henry Collins 22
              Emma Collins 20 - daughter
              Walter Collins 6
              John Collins 3
              Thomas Collins 1

.. and the same relationships confirmed on the 1871 census.

I just can't see a Butler connection!
              Elaine

Comment

What about 1891 ? Presumably Alice Collins born c1883 is Emma's daughter ?

Comment

By 1891 she is married to Stephen Gorham (and she marries as Emma Collins - see post #2)

household
                  Stephen Gorham 33
                  Emma Gorham 30
                  John Collins 13
                  Thomas Collins 10
                  Alice Collins 8
                  Maude Gorham 1
                  Henry Collins 33
                  Walter Collins 27
                  Elaine

Comment

By 1891 she is married to Stephen Gorham (and she marries as Emma Collins - see post #2)
                    erm ... I seem to have misread the year for some reason I thought it was 1893, hence 1891 request !! Me thinks I need a t-break

Comment

This is where I got the info from;

http://www.gravestonephotos.com/publ...am&grave=62798

I've requested a free copy of the monument to clarify if any more clues / info given on site is correct (that is if it is legible .. although now wondering how Robert Bernard Gorham is in this grave + is he also in CWGC plot or is the info from a memorial stone ?????
                      Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 04-07-10, 10:37.

Comment

I would imagine it's a memorial to Robert Bernard Gorham - I'd be interested to know if the image gives any more clues.
                        Elaine

Comment

1911 census has Stephen and Emma with daughter Ethel. With them is a border called Walter Collins (b c1863)

Looked up on 1891 census and found something really interesting.

Stephen and Emma Gorham.
                          Children:
                          John COLLINS age 13
                          Thomas COLLINS age 10
                          Alice COLLINS age 8
                          Maud GORHAM age 1

With them is Henry Collins age 33 and Walter Collins age 27, both Brother-In-law to Stephen

Researching:
                          FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Wish my browser would automatically refresh when new posts added, it would have saved me repeating what Elaine had already found

Researching:
                            FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

I would imagine it's a memorial to Robert Bernard Gorham - I'd be interested to know if the image gives any more clues.
                              me too! ... it's a shame there aren't any details about when buried etc

I've tried to find Joseph Butler's / Gorham's birth but no success

although it seems odd that such specific information as son of ..... father of .... mother of .... is included on the website as I can't imagine that someone would just make that up (.... or would they ???????)

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                1911 census has Stephen and Emma with daughter Ethel. With them is a border called Walter Collins (b c1863)

Looked up on 1891 census and found something really interesting.

Stephen and Emma Gorham.
                                Children:
                                John COLLINS age 13
                                Thomas COLLINS age 10
                                Alice COLLINS age 8

Maud GORHAM age 1

With them is Henry Collins age 33 and Walter Collins age 27, both Brother-In-law to Stephen
                                Hi again Trevor .. thanks for joining the search ..

What is the relationship, please, of the above Collins children to Stephen and Emma in 1891

and to Emma in 1881 (Emma's children or siblings)? - just nipping over to FamilySearch to take a look at 1881 census
                                Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 04-07-10, 10:57.

Comment

John, Thomas and Alice are all step Children to Stephen Gorham

Looked on 1881
                                  John (born c1878), who was Emma's son is with his grand parents Barnabus and Hannah, listed as grand child.

So all the 1871-1911 census hits are correct.

I really think that somehow you have a 'red herring' with this Butler.

I think Emma was a little 'free and easy'
                                  Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 04-07-10, 11:02.

Researching:

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
                                    ... it's a shame there aren't any details about when buried etc
                                    at a guess
                                    Deaths Mar 1935
                                    Gorham Emma age 73
                                    Woodbridge 4a 1254

Stephen Gorham
                                    1945 Oct-Nov-Dec
                                    Age at death 87
                                    Deben Volume: 4a, Page: 1186
                                    (after 1935 the Woodbridge registration district was moved to Deben)
                                    Elaine

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                                      John, Thomas and Alice are all step Children to Stephen Gorham

Looked on 1881
                                      John (born c1878), who was Emma's son is with his grand parents Barnabus and Hannah.

So all the 1871-1911 census hits are correct.

I really think that somehow you have a 'red herring' with this Butler.

I think Emma was a little 'free and easy'
                                      I've just looked at 1881 census info on FamilySearch ... and at this point I have to agree with Elaine and you ... where does Joseph Butler fit into all of this ?

Comment

I think you need that image to see if it really says they are son/mother/father to Joseph Butler!
                                        Elaine

Comment

Working...
                                        X