Advice re Will/Admin after Oct 2007 death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probate: Advice re Will/Admin after Oct 2007 death

I've been asked to help a friend find out if there were a Will after the death of a family member three years ago.

I have the full name, and approx place of death, and "Oct 2007" as the date info - and could get more specific detail from my friend, who does have a copy death cert.

Do I need more than that to follow up the quest?

There's no certainty that there is a Will; I've just been asked to find out, and obtain a copy of whatever there is.

If that's enough info, should I regard that as an excuse to trek into Holborn (and do some of my own stuff at the same time - or meet up with family/friends)? or should I be writing off to York with a cheque for £5?

Christine
    Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Hi Christine

I'm no probate expert but understand that records that recent are searchable on PC's at any probate court.

EDIT - you seem to have all the info needed to check
    Last edited by JayG; 03-07-10, 14:07.
    Jay

Comment

Thank you, Jay.

I'll see what I can do!

Christine
      Researching: BENNETT (Leics/Birmingham-ish) - incl. Leonard BENNETT in Detroit & Florida ; WARR/WOR, STRATFORD & GARDNER/GARNAR (Oxon); CHRISTMAS, RUSSELL, PAFOOT/PAFFORD (Hants); BIGWOOD, HAYLER/HAILOR (Sussex); LANCASTER (Beds, Berks, Wilts) - plus - COCKS (Spitalfields, Liverpool, Plymouth); RUSE/ROWSE, TREMEER, WADLIN(G)/WADLETON (Devonport, E Cornwall); GOULD (S Devon); CHAPMAN, HALL/HOLE, HORN (N Devon); BARRON, SCANTLEBURY (Mevagissey)...

Comment

As a close-off to this (presumably)...

I managed to get to the Probate Office in Winchester last week. I gave the full name, month/year, and approx place of death. There's nothing to match it in the current records, apparently, even taking out the date of death.

Are there any other routes to follow up? or any other enquiries to be made?

Christine

Comment

I think the problem here is proving a negative. If there was a will it would show on the probate records - the fact that it isn't showing should mean there was no will.

There could have been a will I suppose that no one tried to 'prove' and in which case the person may have been treated as having died intestate and the Treasury Solicitor would be involved - the Heir Hunters program on TV shows what happens in these cases.

Have you checked this site http://www.bonavacantia.gov.uk/output/are-you-an-entitled-relative.aspx?

If your friend has reason to believe there were assets such as a property it might be worth checking the Land Registry to see what's happened to that.
          Margaret

Comment

Thank you, Margaret.

I spoke to my friend, today, and he's absolutely convinced that there would have been real estate amongst the whole, so there should be something!

I'll pass on your ideas to him.

Christine

PS - Had a quick look on Bona Vacantia, and found the list, but no sign of the relevant name.
            Last edited by Christine in Herts; 27-07-10, 17:49.

Comment

I have a will that was not proved until 5 years after the death, (no idea why there was such a long delay) so don't give up hope just yet.

Comment

There could easily be real estate but no will. dad and mum died without leaving wills, 24 and 17 years ago respectively. We took out letters of administration so that we could claim insurances etc -but, as my brother and I have kept my parents' house, if it hadn't been for the insurances I'm sure we could have delayed the official bit: the letters of admin won't be needed for the property until we sell it and divide up the proceeds.
                Judith passed away in October 2018

Comment

Thanks. I did wonder about that.

It gets tricky if, as I've been given to understand, there's been a family split, and the people without access to the assets don't have much confidence in the ones that have the control.

Christine

Comment

Working...
                  X