Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can anyone find Rachel Boulter (Mrs John Spicer) please?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone find Rachel Boulter (Mrs John Spicer) please?

Rachel Mary Boulter was born Great Yarmouth 1844.

Her father (a publican) had her prosecuted for stealing from him and she was sentenced to 2 yrs in the House of Correction at Ipswich.

1861 - Rachel, recorded as 16 yr old RB, was at Ipswich, in the Industrial School - but her parents and siblings had moved to Swansea, where they had started a greengrocery business.

1871 - I can't find Rachel

Jun qtr 1877 - Rachel married John Spicer in Cheltenham Reg Dist
    1881 - John Spicer and Rachel were recorded in Warminster

Rachel had knocked 8 yrs off her age to bring herself more in line with John.

I can find no further reference to John & Rachel Spicer.

Rachel's eldest brother, William Henry Boulter, and family emigrated to Canada in 1883 and then moved on to the USA in 1885, settling in NY state.
    Another brother Joseph Daniel Boulter emigrated to USA in 1888
    There are rumours that a younger sister, Sarah Ann Boulter (Mrs Henry Thorne) emigrated to Australia, but I haven't been able to verify this.

Can anyone find Rachel, at home or abroad, post 1881?

Jay
    Janet in Yorkshire

Genealogists never die - they just swap places in the family tree

Is this John in 1901, a widower in Portsmouth Workhouse?

Class: RG13; Piece: 991; Folio: 30; Page: 7
    Uncle John - Passed away March 2020

Comment

And could this possibly be John's death?

1915 Jul-Aug-Sep
      Age at Death: 76
      District: Kings Lynn
      Volume: 4b
      Page: 306

But there are several other John Spicer deaths in different places.

Comment

Uncle John,
        Thank you for looking.

That 1901 census entry is very interesting because that John Spicer is recorded as a bricklayer, like Rachel's husband. BUT his age is out by about 15 years and also his pob, although I realise the info is only as good as the knowledge of the informant!

There were Norfolk born & bred Spicers, but I'm not sure that this John of 1901 ties up with them either??
        I would feel happier if I could find a possible previous death for Rachel, or traces of her under another name in post 1881 census.

Now I remember WHY Rachel has been in the "pending" file for 3 or 4 years.

Jay
        Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

The 1915 King's Lynn death is for the same John Spicer - in 1911 he's recorded in the Kings Lynn workhouse, aged 71 yrs, formerly a bricklayer.
          Once again he gives Norfolk as his pob.

In 1881 Rachel's husband (a bricklayer) gives Warminster as pob and year of birth c 1856.
          Living with them was John's niece - in 1871 John was in Warminster with his parents, and the niece was also there, recorded as grand-daughter.

Jay
          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I give in!

Comment

LOL, Uncle John,
              Thank you for your time.;D
              I gave up on Rachel & John ages ago, but every now & then they give me an awful itch which I have to have a scratch at!

Jay
              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

I give up as well, Janet!
                Elaine

Comment

Elaine,
                  Thank you so much for trying.

Jay
                  Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Update -

A huge thankyou to Kerri, who has given me loads of information about Rachel's sister, Sarah Ann (Mrs Henry Thorne.)

I now know that Sarah Ann and her husband went firstly to NZ (and then on to NSW before Victoria, Aus) and I have names and dates for children.

What a super group of people we have on here.

Jay
                    Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Jay,

have you seen her birth ref? http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...DBirth&indiv=1

its states her name as Mary Rachel.. not Rachel Mary.. (thats if I have the right one..lol!)

oooh I see there was two.. apologies Jay,
                      Julie
                      They're coming to take me away haha hee hee..........

.......I find dead people

Comment

hmmn,

presuming she was in the glos area prior to marriage, have you seen this census entry?

what address does she give on her marriage cert? and who were witness' please Jay.

Class: RG10; Piece: 2551; Folio: 61; Page: 8; GSU roll: 835263.
                        Julie

Comment

Julie,
                          Thankyou for your interest.
                          Sadly the little girl, Mary Rachel, birth reg 1843, died in the same qtr.

I don't have the marriage cert for Rachel yet (an ongoing tale of woe re the GRO & am now waiting for a bank statement to verify they have refunded my money, before I try again )
                          I don't think the Rachael Bolton you found in 1871 was my Rachel, as she appears again with husband John in 1881

whilst the Rachel I think is mine is in Warminster with husband John Spicer in 1881.

According to the court papers about Rachel (she was also the victim of an attempted rape)
                          she could read and write, and gave Yarmouth as her pob in both 1861 & 1881.

I do appreciate you taking the time to look and to make helpful suggestions.

Jay
                          Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

this is deffo a tough nut! just seems odd though that they vanish after 1881 and nothing can be found,
                            Julie

Comment

Originally posted by Darksecretz View Post
                              this is deffo a tough nut! just seems odd though that they vanish after 1881 and nothing can be found,
                              LOL - disappearing Rachel is only a third of the problem! There's also:

Brother Harry Joseph Boulter born Yarmouth 1848 - with parents in Yarmouth in 1851, last known of at his 1858 juvenile court appearance, charged with stealing from his father - Harry was 10 yrs old.

Brother John Boulter born Yarmouth in 1856 - 1861 & 1871 recorded in the parental home Coity, Swansea area. In 1871 he was a blacksmith. (NOT to be confused with John BOULT/BOLT, soldier/groom/carman, also born Yarmouth 1856.)

Trouble is, I've looked for all 3 of them so many times over the years, that now I just can't see the wood for the trees.
                              I just get a headache thinking about them!

Jay
                              Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP - NEW RESOURCES ARE ADDED ALL THE TIME

Update on Rachel Mary Boulter (thanks to finding a marriage in the Welsh Collection on FMP)

2 possible deaths for John Spicer in the 1880's

In 1891 Rachel had reverted to her maiden name and was working as a cook in a hotel in Swansea.

24 Jan 1892 married at church of St John Canton (South Wales)
                                Ralph Barrow, 38 yrs, widower, mariner on the high sea, son of Thomas Barrow (D= deceased???) mariner
                                & Rachel Mary Boulter, 39, widow, of 44 Clive Street Grangetown (Cardiff??)daughter of Thomas Bolter fruiterer. (Thomas died in NY state 5 Jan 1892, but I suspect word hadn't got back to Swansea and then on to Rachel by her wedding day)

Rachel Barrow died in South Shields in June Qtr 1895 - age fits with that given at marriage.

Jay
                                Last edited by Janet in Yorkshire; 26-08-12, 11:36.
                                Janet in Yorkshire

Comment

Working...
                                X