1841 lookup please ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1841 lookup please ...

Ann Hodgkin b1820 Wolvey, Warks. In 1851 she's living in Leics.

Don't have any more details .. trying to find out if she;
    • had a son John Thomas or Thomas John c1842
    • married John Scrimshire 1844 Leicester

Update: just found this on IGI
    ANNE HODGKIN
    Birth:
    Christening: 27 MAY 1821 Wolvey, Warwick, England
    Parents:
    Father: WILLIAM HODGKIN
    Mother: ANNE
    Last edited by LeicestershireLass; 01-07-10, 21:20.
    Don't put off until tomorrow what you can do today ~ follow your dream!

Many possibles
    There is a reported transcription error
    Ann Hadykins
    born 1821 Leisteshire

Then Ann Hodgkin, born c1826 Warickshire
    In Aston (Birmingham)
    Hannah Hodgkin45Joseph Hodgkin20Elizabeth Hodgkin18Ann Hodgkin16Elijah Hodgkin15Henry Hodgkin10John Hodgkin8

Researching:
    FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Hi Trevor ... thanks for lookup

now that I know (99%) that Ann's parents were Wm Hodgkin (b1790 Wolvey) and Ann/e ... I'd appreciate it if you'd have a look for them in 1841 please

Comment

Originally posted by LeicestershireLass View Post
        Hi Trevor ... thanks for lookup

now that I know (99%) that Ann's parents were Wm Hodgkin (b1790 Wolvey) and Ann/e ... I'd appreciate it if you'd have a look for them in 1841 please
        Cannot find a William with wife Ann on 1841.
        Considering The latter of the two 'hits' I found has mother Hannah (could be another type of Ann/Anna), but no father, could he be dead?
        The 1841 (latter) which was the nearest match, has been checked against the 1851 census and Hannah is shown as Widow with sons William, Henry and John.

Trev

Researching:
        FRANKLIN (Harrow/Pinner 1700 to 1850); PURSGLOVE (ALL Southern counties of England); POOLE (Tetbury/Malmesbury and surrounding areas of Gloucestershire and Wiltshire (1650 to 1900); READ London/Suffolk

Comment

Thanks Trevor - it doesn't look like the same Ann/Hannah as the one I'm looking for was marrried to John in 1844.
          Thanks for looking.

Comment

I'm confused with your reply.

The Ann/Hannah was quoted as being the possible widow of the William and Ann you stated as being parents for Ann born born c1826.

Ann born c1826, appeares with Hannah on that census, along with siblings.
            She does not appear on the 1851 with mother Hannah, though some of the siblings do, which links to your comment that she was married to a John in 1844

In Aston (Birmingham)
            Hannah Hodgkin 45
            Joseph Hodgkin 20
            Elizabeth Hodgkin 18
            Ann Hodgkin 16
            Elijah Hodgkin 15
            Henry Hodgkin 10
            John Hodgkin 8
            Last edited by TrevorFranklin; 02-07-10, 15:32.

Researching:

Comment

Looks like you have the right marriage (at least I'm pretty sure this is your couple; the surname's transcribed as Scrimshaw, but the image looks like Scrimshire).

1851 census:

8 Lord St., St. Margaret's, Leicester

John Scrimshaw, 35, born Lutterworth, shoemaker
              Ann Scrimshaw 37, born Wolvey, Warwickshire, housekeeper (place mistranscribed as Wolley; age transcribed as 37, but might be 31; it's hard to read)
              John Thomas Scrimshaw, 9, born Husbands Bosworth
              William Scrimshaw, 4, born Lutterworth

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-07-10, 21:36.

Comment

If I've got the right family in 1851, this could well be Ann in 1841, because the oldest child was born in Husbands Bosworth:

1841 census

Grange, Husbands Bosworth, Leicestershire

William Hodgkin, 50
                Anne Hodgkin, 50
                Anne Hodgkin, 20
                Jane Hodgkin, 15
                John Hodgkin, 9

All born in county; no occupations given.
                There's also a male servant called Thomas Broughton (?) who appears to be in a separate household in the same house.

Comment

The Husbands Bosworth baptisms are online, but I can't see John Thomas:

Comment

1861 census:

3 Ruding Street, Black Friars, Leicester

John Scrimshire, 45, shoe maker, born Lutterworth
                    Ann Scrimshire, 40, binder, born Wolvey
                    Thomas Scrimshire, 18, cabinet maker, born Husbands Bosworth
                    William Scrimshire, 13, errand boy, born Lutterworth

1871 census:

5 Ruding Street, Black Friars, Leicester

John Scrimshire, 55, shoemaker, born Lutterworth
                    Ann Scrimshire, 50, -, born Wolvey

Comment

John was buried at Welford Road Cemetery on 31/8/1877, aged 62, address Ruding St., Leicester.

Ann was buried at Welford Road Cemetery on 6/1/1881, aged 60, address Ruding St., Leicester.

There are four burials for Scrimshire children from Ruding Street in 1886-1890, presumably grandchildren of John and Ann, because none of them was more than a few days old.

They were probably the children of their son William, who was at 5 Ruding Street with his wife and children in 1881, and at no. 3 in 1871.
                      Last edited by Mary from Italy; 02-07-10, 20:09.

Comment

Originally posted by TrevorFranklin View Post
                        I'm confused with your reply.

The Ann/Hannah was quoted as being the possible widow of the William and Ann you stated as being parents for Ann born born c1826.

Ann born c1826, appeares with Hannah on that census, along with siblings.
                        She does not appear on the 1851 with mother Hannah, though some of the siblings do, which links to your comment that she was married to a John in 1844

In Aston (Birmingham)
                        Hannah Hodgkin 45
                        Joseph Hodgkin 20
                        Elizabeth Hodgkin 18
                        Ann Hodgkin 16
                        Elijah Hodgkin 15
                        Henry Hodgkin 10
                        John Hodgkin 8
                        Apologies Trevor, I seem to have totally lost the plot at this point, however having just read Mary's posts, I think she has found the right family.
                        Thanks again for your help and time.

Comment

Originally posted by Mary from Italy View Post
                          John was buried at Welford Road Cemetery on 31/8/1877, aged 62, address Ruding St., Leicester.

Ann was buried at Welford Road Cemetery on 6/1/1881, aged 60, address Ruding St., Leicester.

There are four burials for Scrimshire children from Ruding Street in 1886-1890, presumably grandchildren of John and Ann, because none of them was more than a few days old.

They were probably the children of their son William, who was at 5 Ruding Street with his wife and children in 1881, and at no. 3 in 1871.
                          Thanks very much, Mary - it's taken me a few mins to note and digest all you've found

Comment

Working...
                          X