Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think that my Greatgrandfather was a bigamist.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think that my Greatgrandfather was a bigamist.?

Good Morning ,For 4 years now I have been looking for Daniel Bailey who according to his GRO birth certificate was born in 1846 in Swallowfield Wiltshire, but I have records to say he was born in Wokingham, and Reading He married Martina Oates in Chelsea in 1864. They had 1 child William Daniel Bailey in 1865. Then Daniel dropped of the face of planet. I was on surnamenavigator.org yesterday when I found Daniel Baily Born England in 1846 a Blacksmith living in Oakland Michigan with his "wife" Phebe and their 3 children. Charlas ,William, and Frank.And he was White .All the dates are right so, can anyone please help me find if this is my Daniel. Daniel was a blacksmith , that's what makes me think ?????
    Sheila
    I think, therefore I am. Descarte

possible death for Martina

(marriage)
    Name: Martina Emily Oates
    Year of Registration: 1864
    Quarter of Registration: Apr-May-Jun
    District: Chelsea (1841-1981)
    County: Greater London, London, Middlesex
    Volume: 1a
    Page: 407
    (death)
    Name: Martina E Bailey
    Death Registration Month/Year: 1931
    Age at death (estimated): 85 -1846
    Registration district: Battersea
    Inferred County: London
    Volume: 1d
    Page: 588

but cant find her on any census.

mm

Comment

Phebe is born in New York, her parents are both english. Children born Michigan according to 1880 census.
      Karen

Comment

According to the 1900 census Daniel went over 1864 and married 1870.
        Karen

Comment

Mary , you will not find her on any census under the name Martine she is christened Emily Bailey, why she changed her name to Martine I don't know. they were a strange 2some . As I say Daniel is not listed on anything in the uk after the 1861 census but I'll away and check my papers
          Sheila

Comment

The last know sighting of anything to do with Daniel was in the 1861 census, aged 14 . He was married in Chelsea in 1864 and by 1865 Martine/Emily had a son William Daniel Bailey ,my grandfather But Daniel was gone .
            Sheila

Comment

Found Emily with her son and parents(says married) in 1871. with son in 1881 says widowed, in 1891 a servant, and 1901 widow, living alone in Battersea, still in Battersea in 1911.

Emily born c.1846 Chelsea. on the censuses

mm

Comment

Yes she said she was married, but no-where can I find a death for Daniel between the 1871 census and the 1881 that's what makes me think he " vanished " I have checked the CWG site and the Army sites for that time and he does not seem to be there
                Sheila

Comment

There are a few records on the FamilySearch pilot site for Daniel Bailey and the baptisms and marriages of some of the children. I think Phoebe (I haven't found a marriage for her and Daniel) was Phoebe Pentlin. If you look on the original FamilySearch site for her, there is a submitted entry for Phoebe born about 1850, parents Hiram James Pentlin born 1826 St Lawrence, New York and Betsy Wallace born 18.7.1830 Liverpool, England.

I don't know if that gets you any nearer to establishing if its your Daniel
                  Jackie

Comment

I have never heard of the original family Search I did look on "a" familysearch site. I'll away look see. anything now to find Daniel as I have said 4 years is a long time to search for someone.The to hard basket has come around with his name ,so I must try harder this time to find him
                    Sheila

Comment

Sorry - this is the pilot site I was referring to

Discover your family history. Explore the world’s largest collection of free family trees, genealogy records and resources.

and this is the one I called the original site (it was just my clumsy way of describing it )

Jackie

Comment

Jackie I have also checked the Blacksmiths Index ,and there is no other Bailey registered. It is not a big site but it lists a lot of Blacksmiths and the like. ! am off to lunch will be back in 1 or 2 hours
                        Sheila

Comment

I had a similar event in my family, had a ggguncle who got married, his surname was very common, but her xtian name was pretty unique. found her getting married again and decided he must have died. Found a likely death and wrote him off. Then Ancestry sent a hot hit, and it was him , getting married in canada, same village and parents on the marriage cert. So I reckon they divorced without using a Judge or lawyers, just agreed to move on.

As there were no other Daniels in GB who were blacksmiths with the birth age 1846 give or take 5 yrs, it looks likely. There were no DBs banged up or in hospital in 1871, and one did go to USA in 1870, right age.(Dan Bailey 1848)

There is another English Daniel showing on censuses , but he was a Butcher.(not to confuse HIM)

have you tried this

look at the naturalisation index,(left menu) there is a Daniel Bailey in Oakland there with a ref number to order the act.

mm
                          Last edited by marymog; 01-07-10, 08:54.

Comment

Hello MM Thank you for all your hard work. I have been on the familyscearch site and was suprised at the info: that was there. This is the first time I have looked for a relative in the USA so I got side tracked now and again. I think I'll claim that Daniel . May be I'll find a way to prove it is him, until then he's mine LOL
                            Sheila

Comment

read this

The Honeywell-Bailey Shop
                              Another of the north Main street shops and a busy place in its time, was what was best known
                              as the Dan Bailey shop, just north of the Standard Oil station. The date of the erection of this frame
                              building is lacking, [It was built by Joseph Vowles in 1876 and occupied by George Cutting until he built
                              his brick shop across the street in 1881.] but it is known to have been occupied by blacksmith John
                              Honeywell in 1875. After him came Daniel Bailey, who had the assistance of his sons, Will and Frank,
                              until his death in 1907. The boys carried on together until they disposed of the building for other
                              purposes in 1926. Will Bailey continued at his trade as health permitted until his death in 1932. The
                              building is now occupied by an auto supply shop.

Milford is in Oakland

mm

Comment

From Family Search Record site

Daniel Bailey
                                Death Date: 29 Oct 1907
                                Place: Milford, Oakland, Michigan
                                Born c 1846, England

Collection: Michigan Deaths and Burials, 1800-1995

Says he was married but unfortunately doesn't give wife's name.
                                Elaine

Comment

Again from the Family search Record Site

1880 census
                                  Daniel Baily
                                  Residence New Hudson, Oakland, Michigan
                                  born 1846 England
                                  Spouse -Phebe Baily - born New York, United States

children Charles H Baily, William Baily, Frank Baily
                                  Elaine

Comment

and again ..

1900 census

Dan Bailey born November 1845 England
                                    Residence: Milford village, Oakland, Michigan
                                    Spouse - Phoebe Bailey, born New York
                                    Married for 30 years - therefore estimated year of marriage c1870
                                    Immigration Year: 1864

Children - Frank Bailey
                                    Elaine

Comment

Thank you both Very much, So Daniel came up in the world and owned a Blacksmith shop . I think that this must be my Gr grandfather as it has answer a lot of questions. Now how do you put a bigamist on your Tree ????? HeHe
                                      Sheila

Comment

Swallowfield is a small village just outside Wokingham. It used to be in Wiltshire but is now in Berkshire. Wokingham would be the closest place to register a birth so I can understand him saying he was born in Wokingham. I live in Wokingham, have been through Swallowfield on numerous occasions, so if you want any places checked out just ask.

Linda
                                        Linda

My avatar is my Grandmother Carolina Meulenhoff 1896 - 1955

Comment

Working...
                                        X