Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to the 1921 Census

Access to the 1921 census

In times of economic stress such as these the government might be open to any idea that could generate useful revenue and the 1921 census is one such project.

A way to generate income, provide jobs and boost the economy all at the same time without making cuts.
    Such a policy must be popular with the electorate.

The National Audit Office report on the release of the 1901 census stated that the internet access to the 1901 generated revenues of £4.5 million by October 2003, less than one year.
    In five years that amounts to a conservative sum of £22.5 million and useful figure for even a government to play with.

I would therefore like to suggest a campaign to encourage the government to release the 1921 now.
    Now is the time to write to Cabinet Ministers and Members of Parliament we may be able to obtain a change in policy.

If you want access to the 1921 census now is possibly the only time to act.
    Cheers
    Guy
    Guy passed away October 2022

If anyone is worried about the question asked on the 1921 census they should take a look at

There were no sensitive questions on the schedule-
    Name & Surname, Relationship to Head, Age, Sex, Married or Orphaned, Birthplace, Nationality, School, Occupation, Employment, Place of work, Total Children Under 15, Ages of Children
    Cheers
    Guy

Comment

It would be brilliant if they did release it early

Comment

I have added a posting to the new hmg Your Freedom site

If you want access to the 1921 census please visit and add your vote there.

Your vote is important please use it.

Cheers
        Guy

Comment

Guy,
          I have just been reading your proposal on the new Your Freedom site - how do we add our vote to your suggestion?

Edit ... by the time I had read it on Rootschat, gone over to the site and registered I see you have snuck in and posted about it!! :D

Edit again ... have discovered you click on "add rating" to vote.
          Elaine

Comment

Please support the campaign to gain access to the 1921 census

Write to Cabinet Ministers and Members of Parliament asking for access to the 1921 census

Letters should be addressed to

Name of MP
            House of Commons
            London
            SW1A 0AA

Dear Mr. Smith,

In view of the current financial position of the UK and in view of the fact that there was no commitment to the public in 1921 that the census would be withheld for 100 years I wish to ask that the 1921 census be released now.
            The result of this would bring economic benefits to the UK at a time when it is most needed. It could also provide much needed employment.

The economic benefit may be shown by a Hansard reply of Mr Carmichael where he states

“According to the National Audit Office report on the release of the 1901 census, "Unlocking the Past: the 1901 Census Online", the internet site allowing access to the England and Wales records generated revenues of £4.5 million by 31 October 2003.”

The 1901 census was released online in November 2002 (released initially January 2002 but withdrawn until November after the site crashed due to high demand) therefore that sum must be for approximately one year or less.

The figure may seem modest in national terms but in times of financial stress every form of income is a valuable asset.

A recent Freedom of Information request shows the above figures are very conservative as the number of downloads paid for has jumped from 1,066,424 in 2003 to 17,012,560 in 2009 indicating the revenue return has increased accordingly.
            The facts about withholding the census are also discussed in the above Hansard reply and I feel that in these times of open government and honesty in parliament the closure period should be urgently re-examined as the legislation that forbids the release of the 1921 census was not enacted until 1966 (Lord Chancellor’s Instrument number 12) and later under the Census (Confidentiality) Act 1991.

As these two pieces of legislation are retrospective they did not influence the electorate when they filled out the census schedules therefore they could be amended without breaching the trust of the electorate.

Yours faithfully

If MPs and cabinet Ministers get hundreds or even better thousands of letters coming in day after day they sit up and take notice.

Do not forget every MP is looking for ways to avoid making cuts in their department.
            The 1921 census provides the means to avoid cuts, create income and provide jobs.
            That is exactly what this government claim they are endeavouring to do, it therefore ticks every box.

I have added a posting to the new hmg Your Freedom site for those who prefer not to write letters.

Your vote is important please use it
            Cheers
            Guy

Comment

It may be a little more difficult as there is the 1920 Census Act to consider:

Accessing the 1921 Census .... when will the 1921 Census be released?
              The ruling by the Information Commissioner that resulted in the 1911 census being opened early does not apply to the 1921 census because, unlike the 1911 census, the 1921 census was conducted under the 1920 Census Act, which is still in force and which contains a statutory prohibition on disclosure.

The stated government position from the ONS is "its intention to release the entirety of the 1921 census returns in 2022, in accordance with the non-statutory '100 year rule' which was adopted to reflect this undertaking of confidentiality".

see http://www.1911census.org.uk/1921.htm

Comment

Yes Bertie I am well aware of the Census Act 1920 as amended by the Census (Confidentiality)Act 1991.
                I just wonder how many people have actually read the Acts.
                See my Acts site at

The 1920 Act has virtually the same prohibitions to the 1890 and 1910 Acts and they did not cause any problems with access.
                The problem comes from the 1991 amendment, that is open ended and prohibits the census being released ever.
                The ONS site mentions the 100 year rule is non statutory, i.e. it does not have the backing of law.

Many family historians assume the census will be released in 2022 but unless there is a change in law it will never be released, not in 10 years not in 100 years not in 10,000 years.
                It will always be illegal to release the census.

The present government have stated they are ready to listen to suggestions about laws which require change. Now is the time to press for that change.

Write to MPS at the House of Commons, London, SW1A 0AA

Or vote on the Your Freedom website

Cheers
                Guy

Comment

It seems one of the main government reasons for refusing to open the census has just crumbled.
                  In the past they have always fallen back on the argument that releasing census would prevent people filling in future census schedules accurately.
                  Now it seems there are not going to be future census.

I forecast back in 2006 the 2011 census would be the last as there were now better, more accurate and more up to the minute ways of gathering the information.

This makes it all the more important to write to Members of Parliament at-
                  House of Commons,
                  London,
                  SW1A 0AA

Also vote on the following site

If you want access to the 1921 census please visit and add your vote there

Cheers
                  Guy

Comment

I have today received a letter from 10 Downing Street asking me to add a posting to the Spending Challenge website. I was happy to oblige.

So in addition to voting on the previously mentioned site please visit http://tinyurl.com/398s44a and vote by rating the thread.
                    Please also add your comment.

If enough people vote and comment on this we could get access to the 1921 census.

One thing is certain if people do not vote we will not get access.
                    Cheers
                    Guy

Comment

Guy,
                      Have you made any progress on this?
                      Elaine

Comment

I have had positive replies from a number of MPs including the PM.
                        Unfortunately I have also had so many antagonistic replies from genealogists that in spite of the ministers giving favourable responses I have stopped pushing.
                        Cheers
                        Guy

Comment

If I remember rightly there were two aspects to this. One was the early release of the 1921 census but there was also the question raised as to whether it would be published at all, without a change in the law.
                          Have you given up on both?
                          Elaine

Comment

Working...
                          X